Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pup on adult food

Options
  • 11-02-2011 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

my pup is not 7 months and hates the puppy food she will eat are older dogs food much faster. its only the wet food they just get a little bit every day not a huge amount im just wondering what the effect of giving a puppy a few spoons of adult wet food daily would be? will it be harmful?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

No, it certainly won't be harmful. She only wants it as it's much tastier (most wet foods are like the chipper- we all like a few chips sometimes, but if it's all you eat you're going to be in trouble).

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

thanks nah there both mainly on dry food but they like a few spoons of the wet mixed in! otherwise they refuse to eat and then when we go out they manage to get the cats wet and eat that! picky dogs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Feeding a 7 month old pup on all adult food in totally fine. If you want to reduce the amount of wet food you are feeding, do it gradually so that the dog doesn't really notice. Some people prefer to feed a bit of wet in with their dogs food anyway, which is grand, as long as the dog is on a majority high quality, dry diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

Thanks guy yeh the dogs are both on good dry food the wets just a bit of treat sure id hate to be stuck eati dry kibble my whole life so why should they :-D just wanted to mke sure that the adult food wdnt have any effect on her ! Thank you !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I add a a small amount of sardines, mackerel or other tinned fish (in oil only, never in brine), or left over veggies, rice or meat about 3 times a week (fish no more than once a week).
    Always random, never more than two days in a row, and if they refuse the dry food alone any day, I remove it and wait to next feed. I they still refuse they gets not added tasties for two or three days.
    I don't think it does any harm if they're on a good food, one of mine is doing much better with this than just the dry food and the vet says they're in great condition.
    The key is to make sure what you add is only a small portion of the food and remove an equal amount of the kibble.

Just watch for added salt on your veggies or gravy, not great for dogs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement