Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big rise in bicycle use in London

Options
  • 11-02-2011 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/bike-blog/2011/feb/11/london-cycle-blogs-argue-for-segregation
    Cyclists in the City has had access to stats from Transport for London about the numbers of different types of vehicle using the capital's bridges. These show that in the last few years the percentage of bicycles crossing the eight Central London bridges bearing traffic across the Thames into Westminster and the City during the morning peak traffic hours has increased considerably by comparison with that of private motor cars. Cyclists in the City calculates that the percentage of bicycles rose dramatically from 12 percent in 2006 to 27.7 percent in 2010, which almost matches that for private cars

That's a lot of cyclists. Seems to be similar to what is happening in Ireland; the highest number of journeys made by bicycle is made in Dublin city centre (something like 10% of journeys made by bicycle, if my memory serves me well).

I'm not getting into the segregation/integration argument right now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I don't have any numbers for it, but there is a huge rise in cycling in Greece (athens specifically) as well. I 've been here the last 2 weeks for some family issues and i 've seen lots of cyclists. Every friday there is group of 100+ cyclists of all levels that goes around the city center. There was also a massive amount of cyclists up the mountains last Sunday that i went for MTB..

Cycling in the city is still a bet with death, but it's improving.. at least something is improving in this country lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

AstraMonti wrote: »
    I don't have any numbers for it, but there is a huge rise in cycling in Greece (athens specifically) as well. I 've been here the last 2 weeks for some family issues and i 've seen lots of cyclists. Every friday there is group of 100+ cyclists of all levels that goes around the city center. There was also a massive amount of cyclists up the mountains last Sunday that i went for MTB..

Cycling in the city is still a bet with death, but it's improving.. at least something is improving in this country lol.
    Any bike-share schemes in Greece?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Nope nothing like that. I don't think any company is willing to do so as of yet. There are extremely few and extremely bad designed cycle lanes and the majority of them are in the suburbs. The roads are a freaking mess, and the drivers are completely missing any cycling culture. If you think Irish drivers are bad, multiply it by 50 and you get the greek madness.

But if you go outside of the city center there are amazing routes that you can take. I was really suprised over the weekend when some friends took me to a 30kms route up the mountains, routes and views that I wouldn't ever see in a different way.. that's the magic of cycling!

Advertisement