Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concerned about the welfare of my friends dogs

Options
  • 11-02-2011 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I really didn't know where to post this question, so feel free to move it wherever you feel I'd receive the best response.

You might all think I'm over reacting and please tell me if I am...

A colleague of mine at work talks about his girlfriend a lot. He'll tell me how his weekend involved going over to her mums house for dinner, etc. Just general chat. He therefore talks about his girlfriends mums 4 dogs a lot, because he likes dogs.

I find myself getting really upset when he talks about them, because I feel like they're getting a raw deal. She has two pugs, which fair enough I can accept are small dogs and don't necessarily need a five mile walk every day - although they are overweight - a border collie and a huge alsation. The pugs never get walked and the collie and alsation are housed outside 24 hours a day in a shed throughout all weather conditions and never walked.

This is why I think Im overreacting, because I feel this is cruel to the animals. Two big dogs like that should be walked on a daily basis, surely? And not be kept locked up outside in all weathers with just a shed wall to protect them? The reason I know all this is because my colleague doesn't like how they're treated either - as he loves dogs - but he wouldnt say anything to an authority because it's his girlfriends mum.

I feel bad for knowing this and not saying anything. But I don't want to call the RSPCA and make a fuss over nothing? I know where she lives and know her name. I just don't want to be pathetic over nothing. Should i just turn my back the other way? The animals are fed and they're not beaten, to my knowledge. What would you do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Moved from PI. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Crazyivan 1979

Hi,
    The local spca probably wouldn't do anything as the dogs have access to food, water and shelter, but yes, all 4 dogs should be getting some exercise, especially the collie and GSD, should probably be getting at least an hour per day walk.

Does your colleague share your views? I take it he does, or he wouldn't have commented on their lack of excerise. Probably nothing you can do, except mention/hint that he could walk them a couple of evenings a week when he's round there and then maybe he could apply some subtle pressure to the mother for eg. "hasn't that walk done them the world of good" etc.

Do the dogs have any behavioral problems due to the lack of stimulus/ walks?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

To be honest there is nothing you can do, the woman is not breaking any law and I'd say 70%+ of the pet dogs and 'guard' dogs I know of are in kept in a similar way. If you have a scan of this forum you will find threads that give details of animals being kept in absolutely horrific circumstances that are either still within the law, or relevant authorities refuse to act on. Animal Welfare law in Ireland is 100 years old and all we can do is try to change this and public awareness of it first!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

As Crazyivan says best thing to do is hint or just say to your work mate "well why don't you take the dogs out for a walk once a day when you are down and gradually encourage the rest of family to do so bit by bit"

If you start it they might continue it hopefully?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭RoastBeefDinner

There is nothing more able to tug the heart strings of us humans than a pet animal. Emotions can run high whether you are an owner or a pet lover.
    However you need to open your mind to the many horrid situations an animal can find themselves in and these can include shelters or farms.
    So long as there exists dis-reputable breeders, so long as neutering is not made more affordable, and so long as there are is no stricter criteria for owning a pet then animals (like children and the old) will remain the most vulnerable in our society.

And as for your own situation you are relaying 3rd hand news here. If you know where the person lives and are that concerned then maybe you should call by for yourself and see with your own eyes how the animals are being kept. I do not mean to sound snotty but as a previous poster said there are so many posts on here about the welfare of animals. At this stage it's actually so depressing I probably will not bother coming back again.

Fish are kept in a fish tank. Do you think that is fair? Snakes are kept in tanks and there are a heck of a lot of animals in Dublin Zoo who would rather be in their own habitat but the public don't seem to complain so much about that? So long as they have food and shelter take your heart off your sleeve.;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement