Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my gerbil had babies yesterday

Options
  • 11-02-2011 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hey all ,

im pretty new to the gerbil scence , my sister bought me 2 gerbils for my birthday last year and the pet store told her that they are two males which was fine , up until a week or so ago they started acting strange and one started getting fatter , i came home yesterday to find two lil babies in the cage was a lil shocked to be honest , Im just no sure what to do with them , They both seem fine and caring for the babies and feeding them and keeping them warm , I just dont want any more and read that the female may be pregnant already again as they mate as soon as the female give birth , do i leave the male in there with her ???? Ive heard not to leave him there and other people saying to leave him as he will help the female and taking him out might stress her out .... any advise would be much appreciated , thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

If it were me I would leave him in there to help look after the babies and then I would keep one of the female babies and rehome the male along with the other babies.

or I would set up another cage and keep one for males and one for females if that is an option for you?

In the meantime leave them be but make sure they are in a warm room and do not go cleaning the cage and distrubing them too much while they are are very small. Just clean out the soiled areas or else clean the cage but leave the nest intact. Give the mother some very small amounts of extra proteins such as boild egg yolk and a few extra sunflower seeds.

At about 3 weeks or just before the babies will begin to eat solids and start to nibble on their parents food. I often feed them hard boiled egg yoke sprinkled around the nest area. The sexes will need to be separated from 5 - 6 weeks by this time the mother may be pregnant again but if you keep one of the females then she will help with the next litter and by that time you can remove the male.

Advertisement