Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New wheels advice...

Options
  • 11-02-2011 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

So I sold some music equipment and now I have €200....
    I'm thinking about getting some new wheels..

Cyclesuperstrore have Mavic Aksiums going on special for €150.. (instore)

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=89&idproduct=37184

I currently have Alexrims R500 which are ok I guess..

Theres about 200g in the difference.. Aksiums are 1795g..

Should I just go for it..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,054 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You can never have too many wheels.

Just promise never to call them "wheelsets".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Fender76 wrote: »

Should I just go for it..?
    Yes, good price and very strong reliable wheels for that price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Junior

Lumen wrote: »
    You can never have too many wheels.

Just promise never to call them "wheelsets".

You know you've got too much cycling gear when you're designing your garage and thinking that space upstairs would make a great Service Course.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fender76

Yes, good price and very strong reliable wheels for that price range

Thats enough for me...! I'll get them tomorrow...!

Or should I go and extra few quid and get Fulcrum 5's...????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

fulcrums = too loud, and mavics but not as bad (god i'm fussy)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭cython

If you are looking at the Aksiums, they are very good wheels, and 150 is not a bad price. However, unless you are in a hurry to get them, I'd bear in mind that they seem to be coming up on one of CSS''s Wednesday Deals. Obviously there are no guarantees, but judging by the prices/reductions on the first 2 of these, I would not be surprised to see the online price on the day be under the 150 mark, from their €184.50 standard online price (150 being approx a 20% reduction, whereas the deals were in the region of 40% reductions or better thus far).

I can't comment as to the fulcrum 5s, but most people I know who have had fulcrums have been equally happy with them.

Thanks everyone... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

in my experience. I have found the Fulcrums to be a stiffer wheel (I think the spoke count is 20/24 to Mavics 16/20). But Fulcrums can be a buggar getting tyre on. They are relatively evenly matched. Personally I'm going for Fulcrum 5's. Need to replace 7's. rear one buckled beyond repair when I crashed a week and a half ago....buckled a few ribs too but they are slowly and painfully healing

Picked up the Aksiums on Saturday... went for a spin yesterday...

Initial verdict - I really like them, they feel really slick and smooth, the freewheel is quite loud but that's ok... not the lightest wheels by a long shot and in fact they're not much lighter than my old wheels but I could feel the difference straight away...* Great wheels for that price...
    They look the business.. I know some people think they are a bit heay on the branding but I say bring it on, the more branding the better....
    Overall, I'm happy...!

* My old wheels are for sale in the adverts section btw....;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement