Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Horror... the Horror...

Options
  • 11-02-2011 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 81,993 ✭✭✭✭

http://consumerist.com/2011/02/quadriplegic-man-sues-disneyland-after-being-left-on-stalled-its-a-small-world-ride.html
    A quadriplegic man from California has filed a lawsuit against the Walt Disney Co., alleging that the staff at Disneyland did nothing to help him exit the park's "It's a Small World" ride when it stalled out for 40 minutes.
    The lawsuit, filed earlier this week in an L.A. court, says Disney violated the Americans with Disabilities Act by failing to have adequate evacuation procedures for visitors with mobility disabilities.
    From the OC Register:

During a Nov. 27, 2009 visit to the park, [the man] was left inside his wheelchair on a ride boat for about 40 minutes while other visitors were evacuated, according to the lawsuit. The rides boats stalled because of a computer glitch near the exit of the final tunnel in the ride, which repeatedly plays the catchy "it's a small world" song... While waiting for help, [he] suffered from dysreflexia, a medical condition that can cause death if untreated, the suit states.

Wikipedia wrote:
    Autonomic dysreflexia, "AD" also known as "autonomic hyperreflexia or Hyperreflexia, is a potentially life threatening condition which can be considered a medical emergency requiring immediate attention. AD occurs most often in spinal cord-injured individuals with spinal lesions above the (T6) spinal cord level. Acute AD is a reaction of the autonomic (involuntary) nervous system to overstimulation.

"It feels like an ice pick going through your temples," the man, who says he alerted staff that he needed to be evacuated, but who was unable to exit until the ride restarted, recalls. "especially when you couple that with the continuous, 'small world' music in the background."
    When the man was finally able to leave the ride, he was met by a nurse who took him to a first-aid station and called paramedics.
    Unfortunately, the decision to send Mickey and Minnie Mouse to perform for the man while he was being tended to, "was like insult to injury."
    About the lawsuit, the man says, "We're not just trying to sue because it's available. To us, it's to make the proper changes (at the park)."
    A rep for Disney released the following statement:
    "Disneyland Resort is accessible to guests with varying needs, including those with mobility disabilities. If it is necessary to evacuate an attraction, we have procedures in place for all guests."
    I wouldnt wish that on my worst enemy :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭some_dose

I'm sure that the staff meant no arm. If he didn't like the music he should have legged it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

I got stuck in the Small World yolk after it broke down when I was in Dis. Paris when I was a child. I had nightmares for a long time afterward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Metallitroll

small world hmm.. remember Cool World?

the greatest trick gabriel byrne ever played, was convincing himself he was cool

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭The Shtig

Poor fella sounds horrific.

Thought this was going to be another one of those ridiculous stories where someone sues over absolutely nothing.

Unusual to see this these days:

"About the lawsuit, the man says, "We're not just trying to sue because it's available. To us, it's to make the proper changes (at the park)." "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I AM THE LIZARD QUEEN!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,993 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I AM THE LIZARD QUEEN!
    False.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

Unfortunately, the decision to send Mickey and Minnie Mouse to perform for the man while he was being tended to, "was like insult to injury."
    I just spat tea all over my desk:p

Overheal wrote: »

I saulte you sir.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭frank reynolds

"Saulte"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I don't really know what he expected the staff to do - carry him out?

They could have turned the bleedin music off though, or gotten him some earplugs.

I went on that thing in Paris, it was one of the worst experiences of my life.

"Saulte"

I saulte you too. Saulte you good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

devils advocate here- while i sympathise with his predicament, i also have to question would he also have complained if he hadn't been allowed on the ride due to safety concerns for his disability? he can hardly complain then that he was treated like any other patron. it was an unfortunate incident but surely could not have been predicted by staff who would have not fully understood the consequences of leaving him in such an unfortunate predicament.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

devils advocate here-
    So, what's big red been up to lately...:D

Advertisement