Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does this frame swap plan make sense?

Options
  • 10-02-2011 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭

I currently have a 57cm Vitus Razor (2008). I like it fine as a bike, but realised soon enough after that it may be too big for me (shoulder pains) and that I probably should have gotten a 54cm (I'm 6ft with 32inch inseam).

I'm now on Deifene and booked for physio and deep tissue massage etc cos of inflammed shoulder muscles which doctor said may be connected to bike. I'm a bit freaked and want to do something about the bike size. I'm on a budget so thought I'd order a 90cm stem and see how that was, but after seeing the cheap Vitus frames on CRC (Vitus Frame) I started to wonder if it makes sense to just buy the smaller frame and swap everything over. It's all cheap Sora stuff on the bike currently.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

New frame, DO IT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

I bought a 54cm one just before christmas and built it up with some spare parts I had lying around because I thought they were such good value. Did you know that Sean Kelly used to ride a Vitus frame.
    Anyway I am the same size as you if that 32'' is crotch to floor (barefoot) and not trousers inseam. So we both have long backs for our height.
    I can set up a 54 or 56 frame the same by using 120 or 100 stems and a couple of headset spacers. (The 54 frame has a shorter head tube). You will have to keep that in mind if you change the frame.
    You don't say what length stem you are using on the 57 frame but I would feel a bit stretched on a frame with 57 top tube and 110 or longer stem.
    BTW the 54 frame has a c to c top tube length of 54 also.
    You should know yourself if it is the bike that is causing it. Are you feeling sore after using on long spins? Do you have another bike that you can use to see if it makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,054 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Stems are cheaper than frames.

54cm would be quite small for a six footer, and will have a shorter head tube which could create more problems than it solves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I bought a 54cm one just before christmas and built it up with some spare parts I had lying around because I thought they were such good value. Did you know that Sean Kelly used to ride a Vitus frame.
    Anyway I am the same size as you if that 32'' is crotch to floor (barefoot) and not trousers inseam. So we both have long backs for our height.
    I can set up a 54 or 56 frame the same by using 120 or 100 stems and a couple of headset spacers. (The 54 frame has a shorter head tube). You will have to keep that in mind if you change the frame.
    You don't say what length stem you are using on the 57 frame but I would feel a bit stretched on a frame with 57 top tube and 110 or longer stem.
    BTW the 54 frame has a c to c top tube length of 54 also.
    You should know yourself if it is the bike that is causing it. Are you feeling sore after using on long spins? Do you have another bike that you can use to see if it makes any difference.

Thanks. Good info for me there. It's currently a 120mm stem, flipped. The TT length is 56cm. I have a 54cm De Rosa frame that's to be refurbished, it's not in any rideable state.

I have poor posture and have had on and off back problems for years, but as you say I should know if it's the bike myself. I'm pretty sure it is, but at the same time I don't want to start throwing money about when there may be a simpler solution. Though I'd also rather not be at this pain level again.
    Lumen wrote: »

54cm would be quite small for a six footer, and will have a shorter head tube which could create more problems than it solves.

I've ordered a 90mm stem so will give that a go. A lower head tube would mean having to crouch more? The weird thing is by most of the sites I've checked that comment on bike fit (that Canyon calculator, those referencing LeMond's calculation) I should be on a 54cm frame.

Nope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,054 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

abcdggs wrote: »

Better.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

did you know chainreaction bought the name ?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

The weird thing is by most of the sites I've checked that comment on bike fit (that Canyon calculator, those referencing LeMond's calculation) I should be on a 54cm frame.
    The Canyon calculator is specific to which ever bike of theirs you've dropped into your shopping basket on their site. From my experience it seemed to be quite conservative on the side of suggesting a smaller bike. I'm just ove 5'7'' and it suggested a sized 50 Ultimate CF. I went with the 52 and it suits me perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

T It's currently a 120mm stem, flipped. The TT length is 56cm.

I have poor posture and have had on and off back problems for years, but at the same time I don't want to start throwing money about when there may be a simpler solution. Though I'd also rather not be at this pain level again.

I've ordered a 90mm stem so will give that a go. A lower head tube would mean having to crouch more? The weird thing is by most of the sites I've checked that comment on bike fit (that Canyon calculator, those referencing LeMond's calculation) I should be on a 54cm frame.

Those dimensions + your spine problems would seem to make you over reach OK. In any case these are not competitive frames so the conventional frame fitting and an aerodynamic tuck don't apply. Comfort really is your only concern and to that end I would agree with trying the 90 mm stem and if you have some spare on the steering tube put some more spacers in there to allow you to sit up more.
    PS: I have had a few spins on mine since I built it. A good, solid, nice looking frame for the money. Very heavy though by comparison to my other bikes but perfectly adequate for recreational spins.

Jerk :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement