Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Do You Mark Your Pet's Anniversary?

Options
  • 10-02-2011 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭

Tomorrow, February 11th, is my beloved cat's 3rd anniversary. It still breaks my heart every day when I think that he is gone forever. Mog was like a baby to me. He was fifteen and a half years old when I lost him.
    I just wondered does anyone out there do anything to mark their pet's anniversary? I'd like to do something special to remember him. He died at 6p.m. and for the last two years I have been in tears at that time. Tomorrow I'd like to do something special.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Mr Teeny

My pup was 14 when he was pts so I know the feeling. :( I grew up with him so it really was like losing my best friend.

He's only gone a little over a year but I sponsored a dog in the DCPCA last year to mark his birthday (in his name) and I'm going to keep doing it every year as a nice little reminder of him (not that I'd ever forget him :) ).

They send out a little sponsor pack with info and a photo of the dog and stuff. The package of course came addressed to our little guy which made us all smile :) This is Maggie, his dog. :)

You could do the same for Mog. Nice way to remember her and you are supporting a great cause too.

Tomorrow instead of being upset just think of how much joy she gave you over the years. I find happy tears are much better :)

Best of luck op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 thecapedcanine

Our dog Jake was one year gone in January so we planted a tree and some flowers in what is now called 'Jakes garden'. Its heartbreaking to lose a pet, doesnt matter if its a cat, dog, fish, lizard.. whatever.
    We have Jakes ashes in a lovely wooden box with his picture on it. He was only 4 when he died, far too young.
    I dont know what we'll do for the next anniversary - but it definately wont be forgotten. He was a member of our family just like any human would be.
    I find it helps to look back at some of the goofy photos we have of Jake, he had a huge personality and some of the things he did were just hilarious. I still get sad about it, and so does my husband, but the thought of his antics still can make both of us smile. Maybe try to remember some of the funny things your kitty did?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Thanks so much guys. I really love the idea of sponsoring an animal - )a cat, of course), in his memory. We often joke that there should have been a wing of the venterinary hospital named after him as he spent so much time there in his latter years - we must have paid to build the place!
    Who would I look to to sponsor a cat? The idea really appeals to me.
    I have planted a tree in his memory already and I also have his ashes in an engraved box - it was sitting beside me for breakfast this morning:(
    I really oved that little man - he meant the world to me. I was with him when he was pts at 6p.m. that day and part of me died along with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

That is such a nice idea Mr Teeny, will look into something like that for Cody's anniversary next Jan.

Sorry for your loss Shazanne, its so hard :(

I would say most rescues would do "sponsor a pet". I know EGAR done it for Christmas for the dogs, cats and donkey! You get a certificate and the animals story of how they got into rescue etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Sorry for your loss Shazanne, thankfully have not experienced this but it is no doubt inevitable in every animal owner's life. You could plant something for him in the garden and visit it often?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Mr Teeny

Shazanne wrote: »
    Thanks so much guys. I really love the idea of sponsoring an animal - )a cat, of course), in his memory. We often joke that there should have been a wing of the venterinary hospital named after him as he spent so much time there in his latter years - we must have paid to build the place!
    Who would I look to to sponsor a cat? The idea really appeals to me.

Dspca have 4 sponsor cats too.

But I'm sure most of the main animal charities have one or something similar and all would be so grateful of the money.

I'll keep an eye out for the Mog Wing next time I'm at the vets :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

On the first anniversary of my first horsies death I had a little collage made of all the little keepsakes I have made in a frame which has pride of place in my house. It has one of his shoes from the last vist the farrier made to him, his head collar, a little piece of his tail, a few photos, a 'head' drawing a friend did for me and this:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66948574&postcount=9

Every year after that, donation to the IHWT and a couple of hours of moping around a field! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

For a few years after my first dog died I used to go out to her favourite walkies spot and hide a few dog biscuits in the grass.

Probably made some lucky dogs day finding those!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 hask1965

we all at one time loose a friend we love pet wise just remember the good times and like the person that goes for awalk and leave biscuts well done your a true pet person they our part of our lives :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Thank you all for your support today. A precious pet's anniversary is a terrible day as you re-live the day they passed away over and over again and the pain can be almost as bad as the day they died.
    I kept Mog's ashes close to me all day - now they're back in front of his photograph in my kitchen. I held his ashes for a long time and I took your advice and remembered some of the really happy times we shared and some of the crazy things he did - he was personality on four legs!
    I am most definitely going to sponsor a cat in his name. He wasn't a lover of other cats (:rolleyes:) but I'm sure he'd be honoured all the same!
    And again, thank you all. Don't know where I'd be without my friends on Boards:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 hask1965

its a pity no where is out there to bring your loved ones to like a pet cematry them we would hav e some where to go and bring flowers or personal stuff to our beloved pets any one intrested in doing so please let me have any idears we could start one live in kilkenny have some money to buy site need more idears thanks:confused:

Advertisement