Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please..

Options
  • 10-02-2011 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭

Currently in the process of purchasing my first road bike. The bike itself comes with standard strap on pedals. Just wondering is it possible to purchase ones that clip onto your shoes online and then fit them yourself. Or do they have to be fitted at a bike store.Appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Yes, you can buy any pedals you like and fit them with a wrench or an allen key

The way they thread on is a bit counter intuitive though.

Just remember this: The right hand pedal installs clockwise.

You can work the rest out from there (the right hand pedal uninstalls counterclockwise, left hand pedal installs counterclockwise etc :))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Yeah you can fix new ones on it yourself & you'll obviously have to buy road cycling shoes to go with it.

Edit: You said you're looking to buy online. Chain Reaction Cycles & Wiggle offer free delivery & are good places to look.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

plumber77 wrote: »
    Currently in the process of purchasing my first road bike. The bike itself comes with standard strap on pedals. Just wondering is it possible to purchase ones that clip onto your shoes online and then fit them yourself. Or do they have to be fitted at a bike store.Appreciate any advice.

Do it yourself easy but you need correct pedal, shoes and cleats.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

yes it is, ask about them in the shop your buying the bike from to have a look at them. There are two main types of clipless systems one for road bikes and one for mountain bikes/ commuters. While you can purchase on line or second hand its buying the shoes can be the tricky bit, cycling shoes simply must fit properly so you have to know the fitting style of each make. Its a bit like buying a pair of runners to do a marathon, get it wrong and the result can mean buying again and sore feet. Best advice really is for your first pair to buy them local or at least try on and get the size in a local shop before you order on line (but this is pretty cheeky).
    I hope this helps.
    Sites to check are Slane cycles, wiggle, chain reaction cycles etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭plumber77

thats great folks.Thanks for all the advice.It's a road bike I'm getting,might try some at the store when getting the bike and then buy online.Cheeky for sure but they'll already be getting a grand from me so everyone's a winner.thanks again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement