Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offline lan on the campus network

Options
  • 10-02-2011 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Just a quick question: Anyone know if you can play games over the campus network as an offline lan? As in if myself and my room mate want to play a game over the village apartments wireless network without connecting to the internet, is that possible? Tried a couple things and it wasn't working out. Was kinda hoping they were just restricting the internet connection and not the netowrk itself. :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

Each computer on the network shouldn't be able to talk to one another over the wireless or the wired network in River/Rye. The reason for this is of course user security. (It stops little Johnny Script Kiddie pwning everyone else's computer)

You could of course set up an ad-hoc wireless network or use an crossover Ethernet connection between the two computers. Which requires some limited knowledge of how computers network.

This would require you both to be in the same room, but even if computers could talk to each other over the wireless you'd still need to be connected to the same router. (Wireless internet range is what would be described as limited)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mastroph

Yeah, I figured as much. I'll be able to make a crossover ethernet cable when I get back home so no problems. Was just wondering if I was doing something wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

a vpn? Something like hamchi?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mastroph

landyman wrote: »
    a vpn? Something like hamchi?
    Did some research on that, it looks like that kind of system goes through the internet to connect to Hamachi servers. That probably wouldn't work unless that somehow uses different ports than if I was just trying to connect normally over the internet. I was more looking for a way to just connect over the wireless campus network without going through the internet, but I wouldn't have thought it possible anyway. A crossover cable should do the trick though, right? Assuming we only want to connect two computers and we don't have a router or switch.

Advertisement