Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

did the fog cause the plane crash

Options
  • 10-02-2011 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

what do ye think ? was the fog really that bad this morning around cork airport ?

anyone from down around that direction see how bad it was ??
    visibility must have been very bad..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I woke up to a green glow, I looked out the window and it was fog, I thought it should be smoke or smog as it was green and brown coloured and not the usual grey.

It did not smell like smog though. My wife commented on the fog too and a couple of neighbours said it was strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Actually I was going to report this strange fog in the current weather thread but had to go to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Little Mickey

NIALL D wrote: »
    what do ye think ? was the fog really that bad this morning around cork airport ?

anyone from down around that direction see how bad it was ??
    visibility must have been very bad..

Silly question to ask really, any number of factors could have contributed to the crash.
    For what it's worth, a pilot on either the Last Word or TV3 (can't remember which) stated that pilots are trained to land, with the aid of the equipment in modern aircraft, in almost zero visibility.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,345 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Silly question to ask really, any number of factors could have contributed to the crash.
    For what it's worth, a pilot on either the Last Word or TV3 (can't remember which) stated that pilots are trained to land, with the aid of the equipment in modern aircraft, in almost zero visibility.

very true. I remember coming into cork one night about 10 o'clock - and it was the worst fog I had seen at Cork airport. When we were on the runway I literally could not see the lights of the Airport building - no idea of how it landed.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

yes but i thought this was an old plane and didnt have auto pilot and that , so it would be purely the pilots landing the plane goin off altitudes etc..

yes it could be any number factors that could have contributed to the crash , but im jus wondering was the fog really that bad , that visibility could have been almost zero , and had a part to play in the crash..

maybe it was nothing got to do with the fog at all.. could have been technical problems , im sure we'l know when a report is issued !

• Advertisement

NIALL D wrote: »
    yes but i thought this was an old plane and didnt have auto pilot and that , so it would be purely the pilots landing the plane goin off altitudes etc..

yes it could be any number factors that could have contributed to the crash , but im jus wondering was the fog really that bad , that visibility could have been almost zero , and had a part to play in the crash..

maybe it was nothing got to do with the fog at all.. could have been technical problems , im sure we'l know when a report is issued !

If memory serves me correct, it said on the news that visibility was about 250m to 300m. We can speculate all we want, like you say the report will hopefully tell the correct story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

They said on the news that there was two failed landing attempts. Both failed due to the fog. So the fog must have had something to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

I live under most of the flight paths and this am... it was a pea souper fog... was having my cuppa and ciggie between 7.30 and 7.40 am and decided to power up laptop to see situation in cork airport .... was smoking outside back and... before laptop was powered up... heard plane overhead... and i said to myself that the 7;.30 to heathrow going so airport is open... went to work foglights etc... t break... and then the news broke... have been on one of these planes previously..... was a bigger one to jersey and never had a problem.. worst flight i was ever on was tunisia back to cork and it was terrible... dropping out of sky and people in front of us saying we are going to die... reckon it was a trainee pilot.

RIP to the families of those who lost their lives today and to those who survived best wishes for the future.

They said on the news that there was two failed landing attempts. Both failed due to the fog. So the fog must have had something to do with it.

According to authorities the fog was at fault for preventing the aircraft from landing the first two times. wrt the crash itself we don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

If memory serves me correct, it said on the news that visibility was about 250m to 300m. We can speculate all we want, like you say the report will hopefully tell the correct story.

sorry i missed that part , i thought visibility was supposed to have been alot poorer than that..

yeah thats true , it tryed to land twice , circled around the airport an crashed on its third attempt to land.. sounds like it had something got to do with it alright..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

I left home (North Cork)to drive to work about 1.5 miles from the airport at about 6.30 .Visibility was between 50 and 100 yards for most of the journey,down to 30 yards between Doneraile and Mallow.I would estimate visibilty was about 75 to 100 yrds in doughcloyne which is just down the hill from the airport at the time of the crash(I was out for a ciggie about that time)but it could have been better or worse at the airport which is at a higher elevation.
    RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

You dont need to be sherlock holmes to figure out that the fog is the most probable cause of the crash seeing as it had trouble trying to land before it crashed. Terrible tradegy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

I was working at the airport this morning. Fog was thick this morning. But it also was varied from location to location. Don't know casue. But saw wreck. It never made it to the runway. Very sad and disturbing sight. I'm sorry I saw it tbh.

All I can say is the emergeny people were brilliant today.

Why air crew made 3 attempts instead of diverting? Strange. Fuel issue? Who knows.

Thoughs are with family and friends at this time.

Somthing like this puts all the day to day crap in very clear perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

I live quite close to the airport and on morning of the crash passed closeby@ 9-25am, living 2 miles away and roughly the same elevation as the airport, fog was no worse that normal for here, seen a lot worse though

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

CarMuppet wrote: »

Why air crew made 3 attempts instead of diverting? Strange. Fuel issue? Who knows.

My brother is a pilot and he said that usually they wouldnt make 3 attempts. It was a case of "get-down-itis." In his opinion it was a bad call on behalf of the pilot. (No disrespect to the deceased.)

Having said that I was once on a flight flying into a small coastal airport and the gusts were so bad the pilot had to make several landing attempts. The wind was literally pushing the plane off course and several times I thought we were going to crash. He eventually got us down and I thought he did a brilliant job.

RIP to all lost in the flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The fog definitely did play a role. How large a role is currently impossible to say.

If a pilot didn't land a plane on two attempts out of concern for the safety of the landing, then clearly the pilot had already taken action to try to make a safe landing in the face of inclement weather (i.e. fog). The fog had helped to prevent a normal straightforward landing and therefore it made a contribution, even if its role was in fact small or indirect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Because the aircraft was in a holding pattern for so long, 20 minutes or so, there is a possiblity that the pilot may have experienced " the leans" ?
    May all the dead Rest in Peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Lads I know this is all just speculation but try not to jump to any conclusions. Consider that some day in the future the families will google the accident and may read this so just think before you post, it would be great if the papers showed some respect to the families also.

RIP to all lost, and best of luck to the survivors.

Advertisement