Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run Forest Run!!

Options
  • 10-02-2011 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,023 ✭✭✭✭

So for anyone who doesn't know... last August I took my pup to UCD because he'd been lame on and off since March. The news wasn't good - it was/is a hock deformity and it was too difficult to correct with surgery so his joints were going to wear down and he'd get arthritis. I was heartbroken :( Gilabbey vets in Cork were recomended to me so we took him for a second opinion - there was nothing to lose. On the 11th of Nov he had the first leg straightened - a wedge of bone was cut out and the bones were held in place with a plate and 7 pins..

Fast forward 13 weeks - 6 of them in the crate and my little baba was able to go off the lead in the park today!!! :pac: :D I'm so happy lol for him lol All his friends were there and he ran around with them and played and didn't get tired like he used to before the operation. He even had 2 swims!! :D Last night when the vet called to say I could let him off I opened the back door and he ran out barking - "I'm free!" It was lovely this morning to open the door for him and let him out for a wee by himself - without putting on my coat and runners to follow him around in circles for 5 mins!:pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

tk123 wrote: »
    So for anyone who doesn't know... last August I took my pup to UCD because he'd been lame on and off since March. The news wasn't good - it was/is a hock deformity and it was too difficult to correct with surgery so his joints were going to wear down and he'd get arthritis. I was heartbroken :( Gilabbey vets in Cork were recomended to me so we took him for a second opinion - there was nothing to lose. On the 11th of Nov he had the first leg straightened - a wedge of bone was cut out and the bones were held in place with a plate and 7 pins..

Fast forward 13 weeks - 6 of them in the crate and my little baba was able to go off the lead in the park today!!! :pac: :D I'm so happy lol for him lol All his friends were there and he ran around with them and played and didn't get tired like he used to before the operation. He even had 2 swims!! :D Last night when the vet called to say I could let him off I opened the back door and he ran out barking - "I'm free!" It was lovely this morning to open the door for him and let him out for a wee by himself - without putting on my coat and runners to follow him around in circles for 5 mins!:pac:

Thats fantastic, I'm so delighted for you and him. Thanks for sharing, thats really made my day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Awww that's great!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ginwmot

Great story, brightened up my day. Best of luck from now on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,023 ✭✭✭✭tk123

:) Thanks guys!! It wasn't easy but it could have been a lot harder and seeing him running around today was just the best feeling ever knowing that all the hard work paid off!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Aw, that's great to hear.
    I'm sure watching him go out for his first unaccompanied toilet break must have made it all Worth it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

Wonderful story! Put a big smile on my face.. enjoy the walks or runs and swims should I say!

Well just to update he's been fine off the lead over the weekend when he was off for longer and showed now signs of strain/discomfort so today ***drumroll*** he's at daycare!! Our goal for the last 13 weeks was to get him fit and able to play with his friends again :) I'm so happy for him and a bit proud of myself for being able to take care of him and get him thru the whole thing in one piece! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

tk123 wrote: »
    Well just to update he's been fine off the lead over the weekend when he was off for longer and showed now signs of strain/discomfort so today ***drumroll*** he's at daycare!! Our goal for the last 13 weeks was to get him fit and able to play with his friends again :) I'm so happy for him and a bit proud of myself for being able to take care of him and get him thru the whole thing in one piece! :)

You should be a lot proud of yourself for getting him through it, it couldn't have been easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Delighted to hear this. What a lucky little guy to have such loving, caring owners. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

thats fantastic news :D

• Advertisement

Well he had a great day with his buddies!! He was so exicted when I dropped him off and when I collected him he came bounding out with his tail wagging lol. He's knackered now but no signs of him being stiff or sore when he's jumped up to bark at the election guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Groom!

Well that brightened up "Gloomy Tuesday"!

That's brilliant news!

Well done for all your hard work!

Advertisement