Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is he a Boardsie?

• 10-02-2011 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

This chap with the hi viz gear and hi viz bike passed me this morning, I used to have the odd race with him up the N11 last year, really boots it on a heavy looking bike. One of you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtJZl0TJTqk

• Registered Users Posts: 31,055 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

@1:10, four abreast at the lights.

Queuing, we've heard of it :pac:

Jaysus that camera would make you sick. Are you sure he doesn't have an engine? Doesn't even look like he's pedalling half the time :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Lumen wrote: »
    four abreast at the lights.

and half a mile beyond the stop line.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Now I know how a goldfish would feel riding a bike...I feel ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

That makes me even happier to be a country boy.

I presume you were using hand signals everytime you passed out another cyclist or left your lane:D

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

Esroh wrote: »
    That makes me even happier to be a country boy.

I presume you were using hand signals everytime you passed out another cyclist or left your lane:D

actually i'm very good about that always check behind first and I let cyclists know I'm taking them "on your right there, thanks". they do go incredibly slowly on the canal though and then they break the reds.

the camera is a little yoke i got for €8 and sellotaped it to the light so it rattles like a ...rattley thing. it's a bit fish-eyed so some of the angles look tighter than they are. Anyways might try attaching it to helmet but its good gas for less than a tenner!

Lumen wrote: »
    @1:10, four abreast at the lights.

Queuing, we've heard of it :pac:

smart a55! :) I wanted to get alongside to get a shot of his bike on cam. did it for you guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Does the white line on a cycle lane not apply from both sides?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

Is it not a bit weird that you're effectively stalking this guy?

He has hi viz tape on his bike and is faster than you....so what?

It doesn't look like he's going exceptionally fast (relative to the the POBs and light sequence). What speed were you doing there?

I hope you're side by side at the lights and not moving in front of him only to be overtaken.

chakattack wrote: »
    Is it not a bit weird that you're effectively stalking this guy?

He has hi viz tape on his bike and is faster than you....so what?

It doesn't look like he's going exceptionally fast (relative to the the POBs and light sequence). What speed were you doing there?

I hope you're side by side at the lights and not moving in front of him only to be overtaken.

ah jayney mac. cool the jets. I spotted the lad this morning as I was turning onto th canal and he has a distinctive bike, we used to have the same commute route last year and had a couple of good fast amicable spins to work finished with a wave. I have a new camera that I started this morning and cut the bit with him on it to post up here thinking he may be one of you lads!

I've lost the inside ring and my bigger cogs on the hybrid so have to pull away slowly or the chain comes off, fierce annoying. Anyways I think you took up my post wrong I just thought it would be a bit of fun and he might be a boardsie. Sorry if I offended people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

The camera probably gives a distorted view of the spin and speed but that clip gives me the impression that both of you are chancers and many of the passes with other commuters are too close.
    Can you give us your collision/incident record for the last 12 months and do you get any flack at the lights from cyclists you have passed in the cycle lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭keaves

Feel for you poochiem, I took it up as a bit of fun :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

poochiem wrote: »
    This chap with the hi viz gear and hi viz bike passed me this morning, I used to have the odd race with him up the N11 last year, really boots it on a heavy looking bike. One of you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtJZl0TJTqk

So why don't you ask him?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭C3PO

Well either the camera distorts distance or you do a fine line in cutting people up!!

ah jayney mac. cool the jets. I spotted the lad this morning as I was turning onto th canal and he has a distinctive bike, we used to have the same commute route last year and had a couple of good fast amicable spins to work finished with a wave. I have a new camera that I started this morning and cut the bit with him on it to post up here thinking he may be one of you lads!

I've lost the inside ring and my bigger cogs on the hybrid so have to pull away slowly or the chain comes off, fierce annoying. Anyways I think you took up my post wrong I just thought it would be a bit of fun and he might be a boardsie. Sorry if I offended people.

I know you mean no harm and I'm not offended.

That said if it was me I'd much prefer if you said hi and had a chat instead of videoing me and putting it on the web to find out who I am. :cool:

ok I deleted it. I posted it in good nature, don't really understand the response, won't do it again.

The camera is pretty cool though especially if you have an accident. That and a Garmin would be great evidence.

That used to be part of my commute. Looks like there's a lot more cyclist traffic now though. I'd crack up having to pass all those every morning!

Should we appeal for wider cycle tracks with fast, slow and wobbly lanes? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I can't get over how busy that cycle lane is. My own route is virtually empty by comparison.

The camera is pretty cool though especially if you have an accident. That and a Garmin would be great evidence.

That used to be part of my commute. Looks like there's a lot more cyclist traffic now though. I'd crack up having to pass all those every morning!

Should we appeal for wider cycle tracks with fast, slow and wobbly lanes? :cool:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055935996 That's a discussion on boards about the DVK808 camera if anyone's interested.

:cool:

If you like idea of cams on bikes have a look here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12334486 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

My eyes! My eyes!! Is that a cycle lane or a building site? Hi-viz really is ugly as sin.

The canal must be one of the busiest cycle routes in the city in the morning, even if it's only one narrow, poorly surfaced lane for cycling.

Does anyone remember the canal before the cycle lane was put in? I do, and however much it may fall short of ideal these days, it was considerably worse back then. Would people really prefer to go back to the days of mixed traffic?

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    My eyes! My eyes!! Is that a cycle lane or a building site? Hi-viz really is ugly as sin.

The canal must be one of the busiest cycle routes in the city in the morning, even if it's only one narrow, poorly surfaced lane for cycling.

Does anyone remember the canal before the cycle lane was put in? I do, and however much it may fall short of ideal these days, it was considerably worse back then. Would people really prefer to go back to the days of mixed traffic?

Probably one of the better ones (apart from the builders) so long as you keep a close eye on cars turning left. Good interval training trying to make the lights too.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

poochiem,

to address your question, I doubt that I would qualify as a Boardsie. I just browse the odd time. My posts are even odder. And as for my bike …

… hmmm. Let’s just say that I haven’t yet managed to pluck up the courage to display The Wasp on the “Post images of beauty” thread.

I just dropped in to say that you’re more than welcome to stalk me along the canal any morning you like (no innuendo or double entendres, please).

Re. our jaunts up the N11, IIRC you used to turn left onto Booterstown Avenue. You also had a fondness for pushing big gears. Was that you?

I didn’t get to see your vid. If you still have it, would you mind briefly popping it up again please? Alternatively, PM me if you prefer.

Even without seeing the vid, I agree with a couple of the comments here. It would indeed be good if more cyclists at junctions along the canal dutifully queued up in single file and never advanced beyond the designated stop line.

That would make it even easier for you and I to work our way up to the front. :D

poochiem,

to address your question, I doubt that I would qualify as a Boardsie. I just browse the odd time. My posts are even odder. And as for my bike …

… hmmm. Let’s just say that I haven’t yet managed to pluck up the courage to display The Wasp on the “Post images of beauty” thread.

I just dropped in to say that you’re more than welcome to stalk me along the canal any morning you like (no innuendo or double entendres, please).

Re. our jaunts up the N11, IIRC you used to turn left onto Booterstown Avenue. You also had a fondness for pushing big gears. Was that you?

I didn’t get to see your vid. If you still have it, would you mind briefly popping it up again please? Alternatively, PM me if you prefer.

Even without seeing the vid, I agree with a couple of the comments here. It would indeed be good if more cyclists at junctions along the canal dutifully queued up in single file and never advanced beyond the designated stop line.

That would make it even easier for you and I to work our way up to the front. :D

Good result:) all happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ni3FLtEieY boom and it's back.

Was up sally gap and laragh today and stuck the cam on. I know it makes you seasick watching it but its grand to have a record of your cycle no matter how bad.

Yeah, keep her Lit, I definitely used to push high gears, still do a bit but I'm more aware of it now so am trying to spin more in lower - since heading out for a few spins on a sunday I've been more conscious of my bad cadence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ni3FLtEieY boom and it's back.

Was up sally gap and laragh today and stuck the cam on. I know it makes you seasick watching it but its grand to have a record of your cycle no matter how bad.

Yeah, keep her Lit, I definitely used to push high gears, still do a bit but I'm more aware of it now so am trying to spin more in lower - since heading out for a few spins on a sunday I've been more conscious of my bad cadence.

Thanks for putting your vid back up. I haven't got out for a weekend spin yet this year but it sure looked like a fantastic weekend for it - clear skies, cool air, little wind - perfect!

I notice that the camera image looks pretty good when you're stationary, so I guess the sub-aqua effects are vibration induced. Maybe if it's carried somewhere on your body (e.g. helmet) rather than directly mounted to the bike, it would clean things up a bit.

Anyhow, give us a shout the next time our commutes overlap. All the best!

poochiem,

And as for my bike …

There was an inline image there in my earlier post. Not sure why it's no longer visible??? I'll try attaching it instead...