Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Crash at Cork Airport - Six Dead

Options
  • 10-02-2011 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭

My thoughts go out to those killed and injured, their families and the ES personnel who responded.
    10/02/2011 - 12:41:47
    The Health Service Executive (HSE) has said four of those injured in this morning's aircraft crash at Cork Airport are in a serious condition.

Six passengers have already been confirmed as dead. The remaining two injured passengers are described as being in a comfortable condition.

A casualty information bureau has been set up at the airport with staff operating a helpline on +353 (0) 21 4328 820.

Aer Lingus cancelled four flights in and out of Cork after the accident while a number of others have been diverted to Shannon.

Jurgen Whyte, senior inspector with the Air Accident Investigation Unit (AAIU), said the plane had crashed, inverted and caught fire about 1,000ft down the runway.

He said a team of investigators had been dispatched by helicopter to Cork and a second team was on its way.

The AAIU will examine air traffic control tapes, radar information, weather reports and the condition and operation of the aircraft to establish the cause of the crash.

President Mary McAleese expressed her deep shock and sadness.

A spokeswoman said: “The President said her thoughts and prayers, and those of all the people of Ireland, are with the families of the deceased and the survivors at this very difficult time.”

Micheal Martin, Fianna Fail leader, extended his sympathies to the families of the dead and injured.

“I am greatly saddened to learn of the tragic accident in Cork airport,” Mr Martin said.

“My thoughts and prayers are with those who have sadly lost their lives or have incurred injury.

“I want also to commend the emergency services for their work and commitment.”

Northern Ireland Secretary of State Owen Paterson said: ``This is a terrible tragedy.

“I offer my profound condolences and sympathy to the families and friends of those killed and injured.

“I have spoken to our Ambassador in Dublin who is on his way to Cork and who will be working closely with the Irish authorities.”

He said a special phone line has been opened by the British Embassy in Dublin on 00353 1 205 3780.

Chief executive of Belfast City Airport Brian Ambrose said the passenger details from the ill-fated flight had been passed to police.

Mr Ambrose said the airport had been contacted by a number of people who were concerned for friends or relatives.

He added: “At the minute we have to emphasise that this is a tragic set of circumstances. A number of people have lost their lives and the families who have been affected are our priority.”

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/six-dead-four-seriously-injured-in-cork-air-crash-492937.html#ixzz1DYxq3Zoi
    Failed to load the poll.

Advertisement