Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

competition figures?

Options
  • 10-02-2011 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

hi all

im looking to find out about the figures for equine deaths and injuries in competition in ireland and the uk (and maybe europe) any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Any particular reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭iamthest1g

nah no paticular reason. i was told that equestrian was a dangerous sport and was just looking for the figures to see if it was true!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

iamthest1g wrote: »
    nah no paticular reason. i was told that equestrian was a dangerous sport and was just looking for the figures to see if it was true!

Are you looking for equine or rider deaths and injuries? I've never heard of a horse killed at a competition (racing excluded of course). Hacking on the roads has a much higher serious accident rate than show-jumping or cross country.

Are you looking for equine or rider deaths and injuries? I've never heard of a horse killed at a competition (racing excluded of course). Hacking on the roads has a much higher serious accident rate than show-jumping or cross country.

its just in riders sustaining serious injury or deaths in any form of competition,not the horse

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Can I ask why you want this information? Just trying to get a better idea of what you are looking for.

<ETA>To me the term competition is specific, it refers to showjumping, cross-country, dressage. It doesn't refer horse-racing which is very different, to hunting, messing about at one's leisure or any aspect of schooling or training horses.

Most accidents happen (to both horse and rider) outside of competition in the equestrian world and a lot when the person is on the ground, not on the horse. Outside of racing and hacking I would attribuite most accidents to human error due to lack of education, poor judgement or plain stupidity. You will have to be a lot more specific for anyone to have any idea where to start looking for statistics.

• Advertisement

Can I ask why you want this information? Just trying to get a better idea of what you are looking for.

<ETA>To me the term competition is specific, it refers to showjumping, cross-country, dressage. It doesn't refer horse-racing which is very different, to hunting, messing about at one's leisure or any aspect of schooling or training horses.

Most accidents happen (to both horse and rider) outside of competition in the equestrian world and a lot when the person is on the ground, not on the horse. Outside of racing and hacking I would attribuite most accidents to human error due to lack of education, poor judgement or plain stupidity. You will have to be a lot more specific for anyone to have any idea where to start looking for statistics.

the conversation had moved to what was more dangerous motorcycle racing or horse competition

the conversation had moved to what was more dangerous motorcycle racing or horse competition

motorcyle racing - there's your answer, the clue is in the amount and standard of safety clothing you have to wear ;)

Also the speed at which you are likely to hit the ground.

motorcyle racing - there's your answer, the clue is in the amount and standard of safety clothing you have to wear ;)

Also the speed at which you are likely to hit the ground.

the amount of safety gear you have is beside the point,
    take show jumping how many serious injuries/deaths are ther a year in either competion or practice?

the amount of safety gear you have is beside the point,
    take show jumping how many serious injuries/deaths are ther a year in either competion or practice?

A lot fewer than there would be in motorcycle racing, I don't have any statistics and am not going to spend my Sunday looking for them tbh.

Dressage - 0
    Showjumping - a few serious injuries usually caused by falling on part of the jump
    Eventing - the occasional fatality

According to this 12 fatalaties worldwide in a year and a half which includes all ages and levels of ability.

http://www.regardinghorses.com/2008/04/09/is-eventing-too-dangerous/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

With eventing at teh high levels there has been a increase with deaths/injury when the horse catches itself on the jump and goes head over heels, this has been in conjunction with the increased technicality of the cc jumps. They are not just rider frightners any more. Lucinda Green did a brilliant lecture on this, it may be on youtube or one of the eventing website. Pins in the jump that give way under x amount of force could be a solution to make it safer.

Professionally and much more so in America riders can be flippant about wearing hard hats when riding or handling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Horse riding is a dangerous sport, I would say it is almost equal to motorcycles. Horses have a sense of self preservation that a machine does not, in saying this a horse can also spook as can a machine have an intermittent fault.

In general both are vunerable from cars when on the public highway which is why high viz/reflective gear and knowing what your doing is so important.

Advertisement