Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average mountain snow level in Ireland

Options
  • 10-02-2011 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭

After reading MTCs forecast and he mentioned how the snow level near him in Vancouver is at 700m. I thought what would the average snow level in Ireland in winter be? It mustnt be much higher than vancouver because we have a somewhat similar climate.
    Scotland seems to have a snow level of about 600m on its mountains during winter. And last year the snow level in wicklow was 650-700m for most of the winter till nearly april. I remember this because Kippure in wicklow was skiable during most of that time.
    And the Mweelrea mountains in Mayo also had a good covering over 700m all winter too.
    Maybe if we had more mountains at 1000m at places further north in ireland, they would get permanent snow during the winter?
    Has anyone else any thoughts or observations on this?
    Maybe back in the 70s mountains like Lugnaquilla might have had some semi permanent snow in winter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

i certainly havent seen any snow on kippure form where i am...

I there lying snow on the wicklow mountains now??????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I dont think there is much this year. Maybe on lugnaquilla.
    Last year Mullaghcleevaun which is 850m high looked very white.
    This is a picture from March:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowstreams/4411086099/sizes/l/in/set-72157623442629735/
    If the mountains in wicklow were maybe 300m higher id say there would be a proper snowline on them most years.
    This picture is the Mweelrea mountains in mayo last March too. You cant really make out the snow line. But it was about 700m or so. The two mountains in the clouds are around 800m in height.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowstreams/4433759716/sizes/l/in/set-72157623623807086/
    You can see the snowline quite well in this video however http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE48XGStkU0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

We quite regularly get -4 850Pa temperatures above us coming from the Atlantic during winter. Thats all thats needed really to bring snow to 750m or so.
    Carrauntoohil is quite far south into the Atlantic and doesnt get -4 uppers near as often as say the donegal mountains. But if it did, id say it would have a good bit of snow on it.
    Id say Neiphin in Mayo or maybe Lugnaquilla would be the best suited mountains for getting permanent snow, or possibly some mountain in Donegal like Sliabh Sneachta! (its only 678m though)

Advertisement