Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brookfield Apartments

Options
  • 10-02-2011 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone can tell me about BA?
    whats it ;like in general? many 1st years? mixture of girls and guys? whats the walk to the college like? on a rainy day espech... thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Sc591

It's grand for first year anyway. It's kind of a safe option because it's student accommodation so if there's a problem with something in the house you can just tell the reception and they'll come in and sort it out and you don't have to worry about bills and stuff. When I was there it was mostly first years around the place, I think, but some second and even a few third years too. There's a good atmosphere around the place, lots of parties and stuff but not excessively loud or anything. There's a mixture of girls and guys, yeah. And the walk to college is grand, takes ten/fifteen minutes tops. The walk is the same on rainy days as non-rainy days, just bring an umbrella, haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

I work in BA and lived there for my first 4 years in college. Its grand for the lazy types like myself. Bills etc. included in the rent.

This year has seen a huge increase in the numbers of 1st yrs - the complex is inhabited now by mostly 1st years (about 60%) which is helpful for a fresher looking to make lots of friends upon coming to college.

If you have any more questions just ask

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MariaBlaah

thanks! there was a good few posts on brookfield townhouses but not much on the apartments so i was just wondering.. i guess theyre all pretty much the same! havent been hearing bad things about it either! tyring to decide between them and castlewhite.. which do ye think?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Sc591

I'd say there wouldn't really be much of a difference. They both have their different pros and cons, but at the end of the day they're both student accommodation so they're basically at roughly the same standard, rules, etc. so maybe base it on price, if there's a substantial difference? I've heard some people who have loved each place and some people who have disliked each one so it's probably down to personal preference. Although I think Castlewhite is on the UCC internet system or whatever? So their internet is fast? I could be mistaken though.... When I was living in Brookfield last year the internet was awful. They put a filter on it, which blocked stuff like MySpace and other ridiculous things, even though almost everyone living there would have been 18 or over. And it was really expensive for internet too. But overall,there wouldn't be a huge difference between Brookfield and Castlewhite, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jreanor

Sc591 wrote: »
    I'd say there wouldn't really be much of a difference. They both have their different pros and cons, but at the end of the day they're both student accommodation so they're basically at roughly the same standard, rules, etc. so maybe base it on price, if there's a substantial difference? I've heard some people who have loved each place and some people who have disliked each one so it's probably down to personal preference. Although I think Castlewhite is on the UCC internet system or whatever? So their internet is fast? I could be mistaken though.... When I was living in Brookfield last year the internet was awful. They put a filter on it, which blocked stuff like MySpace and other ridiculous things, even though almost everyone living there would have been 18 or over. And it was really expensive for internet too. But overall,there wouldn't be a huge difference between Brookfield and Castlewhite, really.

Yes Castlewhite is on UCC internet..which is screaming fast but quite restricted (no torrenting for example).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

By apartments do you mean Jenning's Pool? Most of Brookfield is the townhouses/apartments (townhouses up the steps, apartments below). Jenning's Pool is lovely but I think most of the first years'd be in the townhouses/apartments bit and if that's the bit you're considering, the bedrooms are pretty small compared to Castlewhite. Especially since it's more expensive.

Yea, I thought that by apartments they meant like, a block? I know that first can't go to Jennings Pool.. I think ill go with Castlewhite.. Just wondering about having friends over? Would it be strict in Castlewhite? Itd be other UCC students id be having over - iv a few close friends going! But they're going to Vic Lodge and Brookefield!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

MariaBlaah wrote: »
    Yea, I thought that by apartments they meant like, a block? I know that first can't go to Jennings Pool.. I think ill go with Castlewhite.. Just wondering about having friends over? Would it be strict in Castlewhite? Itd be other UCC students id be having over - iv a few close friends going! But they're going to Vic Lodge and Brookefield!

Castlewhite is what you probably want so. Brookfield can be quite strict about having guests stay over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

When they say apartments, the townhouses are pretty much apartments but with up to 8 staying in them in the upper floors and up to four in the basement ones.

Castlewhite really aren't strict on people over, security will come up for parties if it's really loud and someone complains about it, but there were loads of parties there when I lived there for 1st year and generally there wouldn't be any problems. Apartments of 4-6 people afaik.

Edit: also if you've decided where you want to go I'd say book it as soon as you possibly can, they don't fill up quite as quickly now as they used to I think but still better safe than sorry.

booked castlewhite anyways! thanks guys!

• Advertisement
Advertisement