Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbook "Not Charging"

Options
  • 10-02-2011 12:08am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I let my macbook run out completely the other day, when I plugged it back in it now says "Not Charging" - and as soon as I pull out the power chord it dies. Is this definitely the battery or could it be something else?

What can I try to find out what the problem is?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Is this a Macbook with a built-in battery? How old is it?
    Have you tried resetting the SMC?
    How many cycles has the battery had (use Coconut Battery)?

It does sound like the battery is gone though.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks thats very handy

Says -1 mAh for the first three, is it dead? Do they just die all of a sudden like that?

Syas Macbook 4,1. 35 months old. What battery should I buy now, should I get it from ebay?

Cheers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Batteries can just die, but heavy usage may also be a factor. It's almost 3 years old so it's time may be up.

Does Coconut Battery say how many loadcycles the battery has had?

Do you have Applecare by any chance? Or do you know anyone with the same model Macbook that you could test the battery with?

Yeah, you could probably get a battery on Ebay. But it would be advisable to get the official Apple battery. You can buy them from www.applestore.ie

Did you reset the SMC btw? See here.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Wow, they are 129 on the apple store, and an everage of 2 stars with 70 reviews!

I think i'll risk ebay, but, which one to buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭Talisman

Be wary of anything that is being drop shipped from China.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Had same problem on my macbook, seems to have fixed itself reset smc. Mine is over 4 years old and the battery according to coconut has had 944 load cycles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 TheYid

Zascar wrote: »
    Thanks thats very handy

Says -1 mAh for the first three, is it dead? Do they just die all of a sudden like that?

Syas Macbook 4,1. 35 months old. What battery should I buy now, should I get it from ebay?

Cheers
    I've had the exact same problem as you and get the same readings from coconut battery. Whenever I use my laptop I usually have access to a plug so its not too bad.

Guys googleing 'Reset SMC' brings several different ways to do this. Some require you to do it with it plugged out take the battery out. No idea how that would do anything. What is the correct way of doing this, ring in mind mine will not turn on if not plugged in?

Like this
    Note: Learn about removing the battery on MacBook and MacBook Pro.
    Shut down the computer.
    Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the computer, if it's connected.
    Remove the battery.
    Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
    Release the power button.
    Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.
    Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Thanks. So with no power whatsoever, hold the power button for 5 seconds. How can it do anything with no power whatsoever? I'm assuming it must have some form of internal battery for this? I just did it and it did nothing - is something supposed to happen?

• Advertisement

Nope. But if that was the problem the battery should now work, which I assume it isn't.

A new battery will most likely solve the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

I had the same prob last year with my 07 macbook pro, I had applecare and apple reluctantly replaced the battery as it was only after 120 cycles. there was a fault issue with a whole batch of batteries they made at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,025 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Talisman wrote: »
    Be wary of anything that is being drop shipped from China.

I'd second Talisman on this. With a battery, there is no sure fire way of knowing it's a good or bad battery until you place it in and begin to use it, by which time it may be far too late to get recourse; this is the case with any battery on any laptop computer regardless of brand. The extra few quid you pay Apple is more than just peace of mind here.

If the photo is what you are getting then it's not an Apple authentic battery never mind the silly cheap price.

There is no way in hell I'm paying 139 from apple for a battery. I rarely actually need huge battery life in one go - so if its not quite as good but its 1/3 of the price then that's fine.

Can anyone suggest one that is worth buying and good value?

There is no way in hell I'm paying 139 from apple for a battery. I rarely actually need huge battery life in one go - so if its not quite as good but its 1/3 of the price then that's fine.

Can anyone suggest one that is worth buying and good value?

I'm not in the market for a new battery so I can't be sure where you'd pick up a new one cheaper than Apple. You could try Dektek or Dean in Bondi, they might turn up a proven one for less than €139. What I'm more concerned about is you picking up either a lemon that gives you very poor performance or worse yet you get an incompatible battery that doesn't work as it should and end up being trouble in the long run, which spurious batteries can sometimes go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭RVN10

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180572989254&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Hey Zascar , just bought one myself last week off this guy on ebay great battery , good value and very fast delievery highly recommend , same prob as yourself working an absolute treat now. Hope this helps

Advertisement