Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fighting Springers

Options
  • 09-02-2011 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking for some advice please. My husband and I have two Springer Spaniels, one aged 5 yrs and one aged 2 yrs. They are walked daily and are much loved pets. They are kept outside in a run during the day while we are at work and then come in to the house in the evening and for the night.
    Our problem is they are starting to fight lately. The 5 yr old is calmer and we know it is the younger one who is instigating the fights. She is OBSESSED with the older dog, constantly growling at her even when it is she who is getting attention/food/petting etc. She now growls through meal times even when the other dog is far away from her. Today I collected them from the groomers and she started a fight in the middle of the parlour totally ignoring me (first time it happened in public mortified to say the least :mad:), I was unable to stop her. This is whats worring me, she doesnt obey me while the other dog does.
    My son and I were walking past their bed tonight and we stopped to pet them and almost immediately they were tearing each other apart. He got so scared he was screaming it was awful. (Before anyone gives out he is NEVER left near them alone)
    For this reason I am considering rehoming her. I do not want our son to be in danger of getting caught up in a fight or becoming scared of them.

Has anyone any suggestions what we could do instead or how to go about rehoming a loved pet. I am in tears now even thinking of rehoming her but at the moment its the only option I can think of.
    We also feel that because of this fighting we aren't giving either of them the full attention they deserve, like petting and just normal pet owner interaction, because it starts a fight so maybe splitting them up would be better for both of them.
    Any advice or suggestions welcome.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

They don't call bitches 'bitches' for no reason.

Look, from what I've read and heard from breeders, when two bitches start to fight they need to be separated. It sounds like your two have started to seriously escalate. Separate them now - don't wait. Once you've set them up with separate space, you can involve a behaviouralist - but it HAS to be someone with proven experience in managing dog-aggressive dogs and sorting out this sort of interaction. It can't just be a 'sit, stay, lie down' obedience class trainer.

Take this very seriously though, please - from what I've heard running two bitches together after fights have started to break out is genuinely a recipe for disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

+1 To Sweepers post.
    Ive heard that when bitches fight, they must be separated from there on as they can go back and fight to the end when one is seriously injured or even killed so be very, very careful.
    Bitches are actually worse at fighting than 2 males fighting so i would really get some expert advice here and take all precautions to keep them separated.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

You don't say whether they're two bitches or two dogs. As above, I've often heard it said by trainers that when bitches start to genuinely fight it's better to rehome one as it can get very, very nasty.

Are they neutered? Hormones could play a large part in it.

My bitches squabble very occasionally and I keep a good eye on them to make sure that they're not showing any signs of being constantly at odds, because it is something that worries me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Great advice given above. From experience two fighting bitches either need to be kept apart or one of them rehomed. It all depends on how much space you have as to which option will suit you best. Bitches in these situations will often attempt to fight to the death. The fights are much more serious then two male dogs fighting.

Male dogs fight and forget and can still be the best of pals. It is very important that these bitches are never left unsupervised together again. I always much prefer male/female or male/male combinations then 2 females together.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Eyeore

Thank you everyone for your posts, its suddenly become very clear whats happening here. Yes they are both bitches, and both are spayed.
    I never expected this to happen though as Springers are such good natured dogs. They are both very strong and I can see exactly what you are all warning me about. We will have to sort something out soon. Keeping them seperate isn't an option and also I dont see the point in having two pets that can't be in the same space, I no longer trust them together anyway so I'd be on tender hooks all the time.

Has anyone any suggestions how to go about rehoming her? I will only hand her over to someone who will treat her properly but how do I make sure of this? Will it be easy to rehome her given the reason for it?
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I wouldn't say there'd be too much trouble rehoming her. Springers are generally lovely natured dogs. She may get on fabulously with a male or a more submissive female, and if she's generally alright with dogs she meets then she'd probably do well in a one-dog family.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Eyeore

I reckon a one dog family would be ideal for her alright. Unfortunately I think I'm getting an attack of the guilts, I'm so worried about what could happen to her in someone elses hands, I feel like I'm letting her down. In saying that though the more I think about it the more I think she would thrive in a one dog family, she'd be able to stop being obsessed with the other bitch and she could just get on with being a pet.
    I will have to discuss it with my husband and try to find the right home for her.
    Any suggestion where to start looking?

Advertisement