Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th year confusion.

Options
  • 09-02-2011 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Ok so where to start :/ ................

Well basically I'm a 5th year student who is having serious hang ups about next year. I'm really young for my year. If I continue on for LC 2012 I'll be 17 three weeks beforehand. I chose not to do TY for personal reasons as I knew I wouldn't gain any benefit from it. I don't regret my decision but I amn't happy in 5th year either. I have three options.
    1. Stay in my current school and repeat 5th year.
    2. Stay in my current school and do 6th year in September.
    3. Transfer to Yeats College in Galway for an intensive year in LC.

My problem is I don't love my subject options as I was forced into them due to subject limitations in my school. My school isn't exactly first class either.Certain teachers shouldn't be qualified to teach at all and there is a dire need of replacement throughout the school. At the moment I'm talking all 7 subjects at honors level. Its difficult and I'm struggling with Maths and Irish. My christmas tests were mediocre my worst being Maths- D3 my best being French A3. I'm already getting grinds but I fear that next year I won't be able to cope with the stress of LC homework and study and 4 grinds a week to make up for teachers short comings :(

My parents are not the best for offering advice but are willing to support my decision at the end of the day. My careers counselor in school hasn't been available in the last few weeks but I cant share half of my problems with her for obvious reasons :/

Just looking for other opinions on my situation. If there is anyone who could add to my knowledge of Yeats it would be great :D The website sells it very well but a students prospective would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

I'm repeating fifth year at the moment cause if i hadn't I would of been only turned 17 2 months before it!It's the best thing to do cause everything comes back to you easier and i dropped down to pass maths which lessened the workload so i could concentrate on other subjects..and if your aiming for high points you could take up a subject outside school like economics which is what i'm doing at the moment and it's really short!I'd say repeat! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

You could transfer to Yeats. You'd get your subject choices and you'd have good teachers.

You could also transfer to a different school in your area?

If you're not happy in school because of teachers or classmates then I would change.. You will get lazy about school work because you just won't care..

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

I agree you have to do something but I don't know is Yeats the answer. I've a few friends there. They thought they had the best teachers and best opportunities but find it a bit catty now and not as supportive as they initially thought. Definately repeat 5th year but is there no better school near where you live? Alternatively you could be homeschooled. I was before and am seriously thinking of going back to it again, you get 7 hours tuition free at home and it frees up so much study time. A lot of school is wasted time in my opinion.

Hey man,

Put more emphasis on your subjects than your age.

Even if you just turn 17 before the LC, you could take a year out or something, and come back in a years time.

But if you don't get the points coz you strongly dislike your subjects, then there might be something in a years time.

Repeat or transfer school to pick new subjects is my two cents.

Geography I advise!!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭pancakes rule

I'd repeat 6th year. That way you'd get the pressure of being in sixth year so you'd be less likely to slack of than if you did 5th year twice.
    If you want, you can go to Yeats, but if you already have good friends in your school, you might as well stay, I think it's important to be somewhere you like.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

OP don't mind your age. If you are able for it then it doesn't matter what your age is and a year out after your LC wouldn't hurt you.

Focus on the subject issues and transfer if you need to. Don't repeat any years just for the sake of it.

Advertisement