Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help stop this mural from being repainted!

Options
  • 09-02-2011 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hey guys! A friend of mine was commissioned to paint the exterior of the Turf n Surf Hostel in Bundoran, Co. Donegal. After putting so much time and dedication into the project , the county council have come along and order the mural to be painted over by a 'plain' colour...

By painting over the mural, they will be removing the hostels 'wow-factor', thus removing the huge potential the hostel has for bringing in tourists and backpackers to the rural community of Bundoran, which, in this economic climate, is absurd.

No wonder our young people are leaving this country when our abilities and talents are being dismissed left right and center. Here is a link with more information, written by the artist himself... http://mickbuttonminogue.blogspot.com/2011/02/off-wall-stop-this-mural-from-being.html

I hope you will all be as angered as I am about this and send an email to Donegal County Council... We have until March 1st to stop the mural from being painted over! Be a sport and post the link on your facebook pages too! Cheers guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,121 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I love the mural and I would like to see it remain. If the other people in the row have no objection to it, I would say, let it stay.

However, I will not be contacting Donegal Co. Co. for the following reasons:

I am in Waterford and don't feel that it is appropriate to get involved in a decision on the other side of the country.

Should planning permission have been applied for?

If this one is allowed to remain how could the Co.Co. prevent other people from painting 'all over' advertisements (say) for anything from sex shops to building societies on their properties. I like this mural, it is well done and attractive but too many of them, of possibly dubious quality, would just make the town look a mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 carriedayphoto

That's a good point. It's hard to argue with you without the relevant information. Perhaps planning permission was needed. However, I'm from Kilkenny and they have no problem with the whole town painting itself black and amber in the name of GAA...!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

The artist in question didn't have planning permission according to his own blog. It wasn't a case of not knowing, they knew they needed it but were so sure they wouldn't get it they just went ahead anyway rather then even try.
    That's a good point. It's hard to argue with you without the relevant information. Perhaps planning permission was needed. However, I'm from Kilkenny and they have no problem with the whole town painting itself black and amber in the name of GAA...!

The difference is KK Co Co gives permission for most of the larger scale displays and they are tempoary. The smaller scale stuff doesn't need permission and even the most over the top display [the nut outside of Freshford who painted the whole house, wall and car black and amber] is only there for a limited time. I've seen plenty of houses painted in styles like the mural shown both in Ireland the UK and all were done with planning permission so their view that they wouldn't get it so why bother applying is very foolish.

Advertisement