Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entry Level Project Management Certification - Prince2 vs PMP - Cost vs Ease

Options
  • 09-02-2011 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

I am looking forward to do a Project Management course. Have either Prince2 or PMP in mind. I would like to know
    1. Which one is more easy to pass?
    2. What is the Certification Exam fee for each?
    3. Is it mandatory to attend classroom training for any of the above certifications?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

1. Which one is more easy to pass?
    PRINCE2 by a mile

2. What is the Certification Exam fee for each?
    No idea - usually between 140 and 260

3. Is it mandatory to attend classroom training for any of the above certifications?
    Yes, I believe it is. You have to do a 5 day course with two exams during that time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭net4hack

How difficult is the certification exam? What is the cheapest training available in Dublin for Prince2. Could you suggest some online references to go though before the training?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I didnt think the exams were difficult. You do them as part of the course.. I think they cost around 2k ish for the course + exams.

They provide you with a book + workbook which is all you need to pass the exams

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ten10twenty

I didnt think the exams were difficult. You do them as part of the course.. I think they cost around 2k ish for the course + exams.

They provide you with a book + workbook which is all you need to pass the exams

2k is pretty steep - plenty of providers in the UK would do it for about half that so might be worth checking that out (if you can get flights and a cheap B&B). Also, fairly sure Prince2 can be done as a self study course - get the books off amazon and go through it. Might be an idea to book the exam when you buy the book if your studying it yourself - having a definite date to work towards should help motivate you a bit more!

• Advertisement

I have seen a few people who go to uk once or twice a week to do their Oracle certification (OCP). If it is continuous class for 1 week or so it is definitely worth considering. IT training sector lacks competition here (like in any other sector!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 garryburks

If you are looking for ideal entry level Project Management Certification, I suggest Microsoft Project Training & Learning sessions. It will help you get trained on Microsoft Project and Project server 2010. It's free on demand training from Microsoft. The visual experience really makes the training straight forward and easy to grasp. Also there are no classroom sessions whatsoever.

Thanks, I would give it a try. Cant spend too much money in the current economic climate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gclark

I'd still say PRINCE2 is more beneficial than the Microsoft Project Management, for the sheer reason that it is more known, along with PMP. PRINCE2 teaches you the best methods to handle a project. PMP, is a collection of best practices for PMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭david4791

Hello,
    Would I be correct in saying Prince is for Ireland & UK while PMP is North America?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

david4791 wrote: »
    Hello,
    Would I be correct in saying Prince is for Ireland & UK while PMP is North America?

Thats the impression I am getting, although maybe not as strictly defined as that.

If I purchase the self study option directly from Prince2, their site says exam included. Would there be any issues arranging a test centre in Ireland without have done a sit in course with that organisation?

Advertisement