Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting newly plastered wall

Options
  • 09-02-2011 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

Hi

I thought that the first coat of paint on a newly plastered wall should be a coat of watered down paint. Anyway, a coat of ordinary matt emulsion has been put on. Should I be worried? (I'll have to live with it)
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

Not a d-i-y person but I was told when starting on our house to do what you've done and it was fine. You don't really have to live with it. You can paint over it.

By the way, a little tip for those who wear glasses. When painting put some cling film, pulled tight, over the lenses and you will not have the difficult job of removing the splashes when finished.

Another suggestion I got was to put wallpaper paste on the new wall before painting. It may be that I did not leave it long enough (maybe 2 or 3 weeks) before painting but when I started to put paint on, it seemed to wet the paste again and caused an awful mess. Did not work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭FREDNISMO

some do and some dont water the paint down Crown Paint recomend diluting first coat with up to 20% water, never heard about the wallpaper paste to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

emulsion is fine, why some people water it down is because its a base coat to seal the plaster so watering it down saves paint just I think.

I base coated all my rooms in emulsion first (not watered down) and they are fine. Just make sure the plaster is dry before you start anymore rooms.

A birdy tells me you shouldn't wallpaper a wall in a new build for 6 months til the plaster drys out - I didnt believe it but bungalow across the road from me had all their wallpaper fall off because of this!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

Bit late now but I always polybond on new (fully dry) plaster by adding some to base coat. Have seen paint come off in sheets like wallpaper after several coats when polybond was not used in the initial coat.

@ mongarra whoever told you about the wallpaper paste was havin a laugh man i'd say that was some mess :eek:.
    That's why you use a steamer to remove old paper it adds water to the paste/re-hydrates it goes all gloopy and allows you to remove the paper. Just reminded me of how much I hated removing wallpaper and prepping walls for paint afterwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Some of older painters use thinned wallpaper paste. If you use PVA dilute it 1:5 with water. Stronger mixes are likely to peel if snagged. Lots of painters use Supermatt nowdays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Sparkpea wrote: »
    A birdy tells me you shouldn't wallpaper a wall in a new build for 6 months til the plaster drys out - I didnt believe it but bungalow across the road from me had all their wallpaper fall off because of this!

You can, but you need to paint the walls with a mix of wallpaper paste first and let it dry. It'll stop all the moisture from the paste on the paper sucking into the wall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Diluted PVA and roller it onto fresh plastered wall.

Job done.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭FREDNISMO

Unibond P.V.A states on their can not suitable for overpainting I dont know if anyone else noticed this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

No need to worry OP. What you did was correct. I have painted thousands of walls this way and rarely have any probs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Sparkpea wrote: »
    I don't think the paper fell off because of that. More than likely is the fact that either the paste had gone too dry on the wall OR the wall was not sealed first
    FREDNISMO wrote: »
    Unibond P.V.A states on their can not suitable for overpainting I dont know if anyone else noticed this

I think they meant neat PVA. If memory serves me, they recommend a 5:1 mix for priming and a 3:1 mix for adhesion. Hope this is right as that's the way I've been doing it for 40 years :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement