Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flash 10.2 brings hardware acceleration

Options
  • 09-02-2011 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Today I got an update to Chromium 9 from Ubuntu . It includes WebGL support (check out [url] http://bodybrowser.googlelabs.com [/url]) and Flash 10.2, which supports the long-awaited hardware acceleration (for those with 32-bit linux and nvidia drivers). n.b. to enable the changes the following line must be added to /etc/adobe/mms.cfg ; "EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode = 1". Flash 10.2 is also available as a separate package from [url] http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?no_redirect[/url] for those running other browsers. Verify accelerated video rendering by right-clicking a flash video and selecting show video info.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Will the 10.2 be avalable through repositories for non-chromium users and is the procedure the same to enable it (editing the cfg file)?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭dabl

I would download flash 10.2 from adobe's website now. The installation will require subscription to the Partner section of the Ubuntu repositories which I wasn't subscribed to so I can't say if it had already been updated by Ubuntu. It locked -up my system at first but after a reboot it appears to be working fine. I can play back 1080p video in the browser now whereas mplayer with vdpau can't handle it. The frame rates take a few seconds to peak and fullscreen is a bit choppy even for 720p. I would say all browsers require the amendment to the mms.cfg file or the equivalent file in the user's home folder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Too bad FlashPluginReplacer works so well without any of the security issues and overhead associated with the adobe blob. Too late, adobe.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭dabl

Naikon wrote: »
    Too bad FlashPluginReplacer works so well without any of the security issues and overhead associated with the adobe blob. Too late, adobe.

Only on three sites mind. And it stopped working for me two months ago. And besides, I don't i want to use Firefox . Btw , there are reports that the Stage API which is behind the acceleration must be enabled by the hosting website. I've only tried Youtube so far and it seems to work there. Also there is a nice tutorial on Webupd8.org from yesterday on how to best use the various workarounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

dabl wrote: »
    Only on three sites mind. And it stopped working for me two months ago. And besides, I don't i want to use Firefox . Btw , there are reports that the Stage API which is behind the acceleration must be enabled by the hosting website. I've only tried Youtube so far and it seems to work there. Also there is a nice tutorial on Webupd8.org from yesterday on how to best use the various workarounds.

Gnash works fine for the odd time I want to view a video that does not play with the vlc + firefox combination. Gnash is not very optimized yet, but it does work. Lightspark is even more promising from the build I have recently tested. What can I say, Adobe flash days are numbered :)

Lightspark uses JIT compilation of actionscript to native x86 code via LLVM. It's one to watch for the future imo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement