Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Straight Edge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

didnt know there was a scene here in ireland as well. known about the scene in the states for quite a while. majority are sound people when you get to know them

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

cm_punk_1600.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I've only met two other straight-edge people but I assume (hope!) there are more of us out there :)

I describe myself as straight-edge most of the time because it's easier than saying "I don't drink" and having to give a long-winded explanation that people usually don't listen to and assume that if you don't drink, it must be because you're boring.

When I first heard of sXe, I had already decided not to drink etc and the label (or whatever it is) suited me perfectly. Later found out that both of my favourite bands (Rise Against & Anti-Flag) were straight-edge as well :)

Being straight-edge in Ireland is pretty uncommon (what with our national obsession with drinking), any others around?! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Never heard of this before,Thanks for the info even though i would think i am a bit old for that music & have been schooled in different class :D I will certainly pass this info around to others.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭NecroSteve

You're a bit like me, languagenerd. I'm not into drugs in general just because it's not my thing, but my punk and hardcore friends long ago got into the habit of referring to me as straight edge even though I never described myself that way. But then I just thought "feck it" and drew Xs on my hands at gigs a couple of times. I know a few people in the Galway scene who identify as straight edge.

• Advertisement

I've only met two other straight-edge people but I assume (hope!) there are more of us out there :)

I describe myself as straight-edge most of the time because it's easier than saying "I don't drink" and having to give a long-winded explanation that people usually don't listen to and assume that if you don't drink, it must be because you're boring.

When I first heard of sXe, I had already decided not to drink etc and the label (or whatever it is) suited me perfectly. Later found out that both of my favourite bands (Rise Against & Anti-Flag) were straight-edge as well :)

Being straight-edge in Ireland is pretty uncommon (what with our national obsession with drinking), any others around?! :D

I'm pretty much the same. I was a non-drinker for a long time before I heard of the straight edge movement. Tbh, I don't use the label though. Not saying anyone here is, but sometimes when I hear people talking about being sXe online, it's in quite an elitist way; as if they are straight edge because it's "cool" to be different, as opposed to being a non-drinker cause of the ramifications it can have...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I am straight edge.

And i am better than you. :cool::cool:
    [/jokes]

Straight edge is how i describe myself to people. a typical convo goes:
    "Whats straight edge?"
    "Its a decision to stay clean from anything that can become a problem to your life, Coffee, Drink, Drugs, smoking, promiscuity."
    "Oh right, fair play/cool"

I tried saying to people "nah man, i dont drink" but that was usually followed up with something like "why?! what the hells wrong with you?!"

My story is similar to everyone elses it seems, was never really into the drugs/smoking thing growing up. Watching my mother spend all her money on an addiction from an early age and getting nothing from it made it an easy decision when i was about 8/9.
    I dont see drinking as being that much different either.
    In saying that i do not see myself any better than those who do, even though i do joke about it a lot of the time. :pac:

Actually,I probably can't say I'm straight-edge... Is the coffee thing essential? ;)

Actually, I HATE when people get militant about it! I joined a straight-edge group on Facebook (thought the discussions and stuff would be interesting) but then they kept posting propaganda-like statuses with "We're better than them" style messages - I quickly left the group, I can't stand that sort of attitude, let everyone make their own decisions!!! I don't drink, don't do drugs, don't smoke etc but I chose that, just like I chose to listen to punk (and pop-punk, don't judge! :P), so I'm not going to tell other people they should do so too.

Straight-edge-ism is a good idea though,and if it makes young people who don't wanna drink feel better about it (ie. if having a scene, a label, knowing that bands do it so it's not all that "uncool") so they don't give in to peer pressure, then I'm all for it! :)

Tbh, I don't use the label though. Not saying anyone here is, but sometimes when I hear people talking about being sXe online, it's in quite an elitist way; as if they are straight edge because it's "cool" to be different, as opposed to being a non-drinker cause of the ramifications it can have...

Yeah, I'm the same as yourself. Though at the same time, I don't like to label myself as anything, if people ask.

For example, I don't tell people I'm an atheist. I just say "I don't believe in god". I tell people I don't smoke or don't drink, but I never would call myself Straight Edge (though I do often wear CM Punk hoodies. More because I think they look good than anything else, though).

That said, I have drank alcohol before, and although I've only been relatively drunk twice or three times in my 22 years of existing, I don't feel the need to tell people that drinking/not drinking is wrong or a poor choice or anything.

Everyone'll make their own choices so I keep my nose out.

I do notice the 'elitist' straight edge thing though (which is why i choose not to call myself such). Whilst certainly not all, I do think a lot of people who openly declare themselves 'Straight Edge' are much younger people who wouldn't be allowed to drink if they wanted to.

I joined a straight-edge group on Facebook (thought the discussions and stuff would be interesting) but then they kept posting propaganda-like statuses with "We're better than them" style messages - I quickly left the group, I can't stand that sort of attitude, let everyone make their own decisions!!! I don't drink, don't do drugs, don't smoke etc but I chose that, just like I chose to listen to punk (and pop-punk, don't judge! :P), so I'm not going to tell other people they should do so too.

Its like looking in a text-based mirror! :D

I think the militant idea comes from where the term straight edge was born from. Like when you realise it came from a movement that was in affect the counter culture to the counter culture, then theres a lot of older hardcore punk fans who would look at the lyrics of bands like minor threat as being like a declaration.

Like take the first verse that is brought up in link from the OP:
    "I'm a person just like you
    But I've got better things to do
    Than sit around and fack my head
    Hang out with the living dead
    Snort white **** up my nose
    Pass out at the shows
    I don't even think about speed
    That's something I just don't need

I've got the straight edge"

Those are the lyrics of a song (and theres more too) that would form the stance that someone who is straight edge is better than someone who isnt.
    But in todays world should the same stance be taken?
    No probably not.
    Because this is ireland and not america. We are a drop in the ocean in regards to the members of the drinking culture so alienating ourselves from those would be stupid.
    In america i guess you could find people who only think what you think and just hang around with them and ignore everyone else.

Thats the problem with those kind of 'groups' on facebook. The anonymity allows them to post what they want. Where as for real discussion, i wouldnt go further than boards. :)

• Advertisement

For example, I don't tell people I'm an atheist. I just say "I don't believe in god".

I prefer to say I'm agnostic, just to see their poor little faces wrinkle up in confusion. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

I lived with a straight edge guy during my second year of college. He was an absolute gentleman, one of the nicest guys you could ever meet, and it was very interesting hearing about the subculture.

I wouldn't consider myself straight edge, even though I don't drink, do drugs, have sex with anyone other than my girlfriend etc etc. I do like some of the music, but my music taste is very diverse.

One of the issues I have with the whole straight edge movement (I never encountered the elitism), is the absolute rampant consumerism it entails. I just found it a bit inconsistent for people in a subculture derived from punk to be so obsessed with their brand names and need to conform to the styles of the group they hang out with. This in only a very, very minor issue, given that the movement itself seems to be based on pretty decent grounds.

When people ask me why I don't drink, I usually give one of a fre honest reasons:

1. I'm a martial artist, and want to stay as healthy as possible.
    2. I work part time as a doorman, and don't want to end up like most of the drunken prats that fall out of the nightclub I work in.
    3. I don't want to behave like my mother did.
    4. I like to be in complete and utter control of my own behaviour.
    5. I see no reason to consume any substance that is designed to intoxicate you, with no health benefits at all.

1. I'm a martial artist, and want to stay as healthy as possible.
    2. I work part time as a doorman, and don't want to end up like most of the drunken prats that fall out of the nightclub I work in.
    5. I see no reason to consume any substance that is designed to intoxicate you, with no health benefits at all.

1&2 would never work for me! :pac:

5 i could imagine someone who would drink hearing that reason taking it up as a 'holier than thou' attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

CMpunked wrote: »
    5 i could imagine someone who would drink hearing that reason taking it up as a 'holier than thou' attitude.

That is very true, so I do try to use a bit of tact with it. The way I wrote it there, even I'm reading my own post and thinking "wanker" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭NecroSteve

KKV wrote:
    Whilst certainly not all, I do think a lot of people who openly declare themselves 'Straight Edge' are much younger people who wouldn't be allowed to drink if they wanted to.

The old joke. "Ah, you're straight edge. So when do you turn 18?" :)

NecroSteve wrote: »

You say that like no-one under 18 drinks! From the age of 15 onwards, you're very much a minority if you don't drink (a bit sad, but true). They don't call Junior Cert results night "Stomach-Pump Night" for nothing! :rolleyes:

I think maybe the reason non-drinking teenagers call themselves straight-edge is because it's easier to deal with peer-pressure if there's a group/community that's the same as you. It's also good that bands call themselves straight-edge too because it helps these young people who are constantly being called weirdos or seen as a goody-two-shoes for not drinking - there are punk bands who do it, not so lame now...

Best response I ever got:
    "No, it's ok, I don't drink"
    "What the f*ck's wrong with you, why don't you drink?!"
    "....I'm straight-edge"
    "What do you mean by that? Are you saying because I drink, my edges aren't straight?!! I'm f*ckin' straight-edged too, you can't say I'm not just cause I like drinking!"
    He actually got offended by it, what the hell?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭moonstomp

NecroSteve wrote: »

It's true that a lot of people are just straight edge in their teens and then move on - or "break edge" as I've heard it referred to.

However there are many of us who have been straight edge for decades and still remain "Straight & Alert". I'm 43 and have been sXe since I was 20.

Respect XXX !

I assumed i would grow out of it to be honest, but i started seeing the negative affects it had on the ones who 'broke it' in and around 5th/6th year and finishing school. It actually just made me look at it even harder.

CMpunked wrote: »
    I assumed i would grow out of it to be honest, but i started seeing the negative affects it had on the ones who 'broke it' in and around 5th/6th year and finishing school. It actually just made me look at it even harder.

Yeah, the more I see drunk people, the more I don't want wanna be one of them. I find them (mainly) hilarious and good craic to hang out with, but I'd rather not be the one causing all the entertainment. :D

Also, when drunk people start spilling secrets or flirting with someone they'd normally never go near, I definitely don't wanna be one of them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Zombie bump here guys (sorry)

Was talking to a friend of mine a few weeks back and she started asking me why I don't drink. I identify myself as sXe so I told her "I'm straight edge". She have me a funny look and said "so you're in that gang?" I was shocked!

She told me about a doccumentary she'd watched about the straight edge culture depicting the two types of straight edge, Positive and Militant. I watched it when I got home and haven't been able to shake it since. It's horrible to think that such a nice way of living has started to get such a reputation.

I'm in no way militant. I couldn't care less if someone drinks or smokes. I'd be considered positive and I genuinely do go by the PMA motto.

What do you guys think of this? Is this reputation deserved or will it die out eventually?

Thanks,
    Hashtag _HEEL

(Doccumentary: http://youtu.be/2xowgdETqEw )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

Zombie bump here guys (sorry)

Was talking to a friend of mine a few weeks back and she started asking me why I don't drink. I identify myself as sXe so I told her "I'm straight edge". She have me a funny look and said "so you're in that gang?" I was shocked!

She told me about a doccumentary she'd watched about the straight edge culture depicting the two types of straight edge, Positive and Militant. I watched it when I got home and haven't been able to shake it since. It's horrible to think that such a nice way of living has started to get such a reputation.

I'm in no way militant. I couldn't care less if someone drinks or smokes. I'd be considered positive and I genuinely do go by the PMA motto.

What do you guys think of this? Is this reputation deserved or will it die out eventually?

Thanks,
    Hashtag _HEEL

(Doccumentary: http://youtu.be/2xowgdETqEw )

Didn't ian MacKaye from minor threat seemingly start the whole straight edge thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

beano345 wrote: »
    Didn't ian MacKaye from minor threat seemingly start the whole straight edge thing?

He did. The song "straight edge" was written and it detailed a clean living lifestyle. It picked up amongst the hardcore scene and began as a new punk movement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

He did. The song "straight edge" was written and it detailed a clean living lifestyle. It picked up amongst the hardcore scene and began as a new punk movement.

Have their discography, out of step is another straight edge tune,I'm a massive early 80s hardcore fan...but never followed the whole straight edge thing....well until now

Oh God, it's funny reading this thread now! I was 19 when I posted all those above, now I'm 22 and, while I still don't drink, I can't remember when I last used the term "straight-edge". Wow, I sound young in those posts! :o

It just all got a bit militant, didn't it? And the last thing I want is people to think I'm judging them or taking a holier-than-thou attitude - I don't care if they drink, I just don't. It was nice to have a label in my first 2 years in college when I was constantly explaining myself to new groups of people (I was already a non-drinker and found out about straight-edge living, not the other way around) but now I don't really need one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dylan123456789

Anyone still here?????????

Advertisement