Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would be required for me to use the NHS?

Options
  • 09-02-2011 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Hi I'd like to access a service not available in the Republic of Ireland, but that does exist in the North. However eligibility is limited to those entitled to NHS treatment. I have no family connection to the North but am willing to pay my way, not looking for anything free.

Does anyone know if it's possible for me to access Northern NHS services, through any means?. Would I need a Northern address or more?.

Kind regards
    F

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Erm why are you asking this you don't live in the uk so you are not entitled to our health care.... you do not pay tax to the british government so you are not entitled to our health don't even try!!:mad: I'm sick and tired of people from donegal coming up and taking all our stuff its not your country stop coming and using our resources if we did that all hell would break loose!! Not very happy at all about this i hope the politicians put a stop to this and put a ban on southerners using OUR stuff that WE pay for! OMG sorry didn't read your question thought you were coming up and taking use of the nhs sorry!! I'm going to keep this message there to show the terrible things that yous get away with! Anyhow i think that you should goto a border clinic and pay them to get the stuff simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I read that reply Owen and immediately thought of this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbcctWbC8Q0

It might also interest you to know, that although I live in Wicklow, I do avail of the NHS services from time to time. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,830 ✭✭✭✭muffler

And the nice people in Ballykelly hospital removed my gallbladder about 15 months ago. They were duly paid for the privilege :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Allah you make it sound as though I'm a scrounger!...Which I'm not. I stressed my willingness to pay in full. I would in actual fact be contributing to the Northern economy by my presence!:)At the hospital and no doubt restaraunts, retail, possibly b&b also!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

owenc wrote: »
    Erm why are you asking this you don't live in the uk so you are not entitled to our health care.... you do not pay tax to the british government so you are not entitled to our health don't even try!!:mad: I'm sick and tired of people from donegal coming up and taking all our stuff its not your country stop coming and using our resources if we did that all hell would break loose!! Not very happy at all about this i hope the politicians put a stop to this and put a ban on southerners using OUR stuff that WE pay for! OMG sorry didn't read your question thought you were coming up and taking use of the nhs sorry!! I'm going to keep this message there to show the terrible things that yous get away with! Anyhow i think that you should goto a border clinic and pay them to get the stuff simple as.

EU citizens are entitled to certain care free on the NHS, regardless of which government they do or do not pay tax to. There are reciprocal arrangements for you, as a British citizen, should you find yourself in another EU country (the Republic of Ireland included) and in need of certain types of care. From the scenario the OP has described they are not an NHS tourist but are instead seeking a specific treatment that is unavailable where they live. You'll find British people also do this and travel for treatment, both inside and outside the EU.

OP, without being too invasive - is it a one-off treatment (surgery or similar) or to do with medication that is unavailable in ROI?

• Advertisement

It's to do with the area of fertility....Services exist in Belfast unavailable here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

My sister is in the same position. From experience, there is no real way to pay for NHS treatment - any paid treatment is essentially private. The upside of that is that you would bypass NHS waiting lists (which may or may not be quite lengthy depending on which Primary Care Trust administers the region), the downside is that the treatment is rather expensive.

That's going back a year or two though. My suggestion would be to contact the PCT(s) whose area you'd fall into if you were to travel for treatment and ask what their position on it is. There is a list of them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,494 ✭✭✭Penfailed

owenc wrote: »
    I'm sick and tired of people from donegal coming up and taking all our stuff its not your country stop coming and using our resources if we did that all hell would break loose!!

lol...what 'stuff' are they taking? :confused:

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Originally Posted by owenc
    I'm sick and tired of people from donegal coming up and taking all our stuff its not your country stop coming and using our resources if we did that all hell would break loose!!

I buy a lot of stuff from people in the 6 counties.

Am I to stop? My Sterling not good enough for you?

Funnily enough, none of the people I buy from have EVER refused my Sterling.

Perhaps its not us in the 26 counties, that's the problem?

Perhaps it's just you? Do you have something that you want to discuss?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,830 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Right guys, you all know what the topic is so please stick to it.

Cheers

• Advertisement

I've actually located a private fertility clinic in Belfast, services appear superior to anything in the Republic. I'll likely go to them as there won't be any complications to do with entitlement. They'l simply take my money.

Thanks to all who helped.

F

Advertisement