Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mum & pups

Options
  • 09-02-2011 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi guys. Friend of mine's dog had 4 pups on Sunday. Mum doing great as are the pups. Last night his neighbours called in and asked to see the pups. He said it was a bit early for visitors but they persisted and being the softie he is let them in. Mum was very good with the visitors even when they held 2 of her pups.

Now I dont know much about this but would be of the opinion to leave Mum to look after her pups and not handle them at such a young age. Would anyone have info or experience of this? I would just be very worried that Mum may reject the pups if strangers are handling them.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

tesslab wrote: »
    Hi guys. Friend of mine's dog had 4 pups on Sunday. Mum doing great as are the pups. Last night his neighbours called in and asked to see the pups. He said it was a bit early for visitors but they persisted and being the softie he is let them in. Mum was very good with the visitors even when they held 2 of her pups.

Now I dont know much about this but would be of the opinion to leave Mum to look after her pups and not handle them at such a young age. Would anyone have info or experience of this? I would just be very worried that Mum may reject the pups if strangers are handling them.

Thanks in advance

I wouldn't be worried about the mum rejecting them, I'd be more worried about them carrying something in and the pups becoming ill. I think it would be a good thing for the family to be handling the pups, but definitely too early for outside visitors. Just my opinion, but I always change my shoes and clothes when going into a room with very young puppies. Did they even wash their hands before they handled them I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭tesslab

ISDW thanks for the advice. Here's hoping they washed their hands!:(

Have advised him to keep outside visitors away for now. Mum is doing a fantastic job with her new pups so far.
    Am secretly dying to visit but am keeping my distance til Mum gets her head round it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Bog Bunny

I allow outside visitors in (a) when the pups have a benefit from it, like when they are beginning to take notice of their environment, (b) then only after changing shoes, washing hands, preferrably clean clothes, (c) children only under supervision and (d) when it is not upsetting mum.
    But my family and I handle the pups from the moment they are born. However, the hand washing and shoes-off rule in the puppy room applies too.
    The more human contact pups have the better, but remember that pups need tons of sleep, so let sleeping pups lie and do not disrupt their sleep just because a visitor wants to cuddle a cute baby. The pups' well-being, health and safety should be the # 1 priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

That reminds me of when my aunt and uncle burst into the house twelve hours after Rosie had her litter, demanding to see them just because. I refused point blank - I had rigged a tablecloth between the couch and the radiator as kind of canopy over the box where they were so that they'd have some peace and quiet - and they got extremely aggro with me and stormed out. I was just, be off with you at once!

But we didn't let anyone who wasn't living in the house handle them until their eyes were open and they were moving around. After that, anyone who walked in was handed a pup to hold and coo over with their cup of tea!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

yup same as that LucyBliss, I didn't allow anyone to see Nelly and her pups for the first week cos she was pretty protective and it would be upsetting and stressful for her if I'd let anyone near the nest as she'd be on edge all the time. Our neighbours kids wanted to see them the day after they were born but I was afraid Nell would snap at them if she felt threatened.
    Also there's the risk of infection etc. as the pups immune system is so weak at that early stage of their lives and they would be pretty susceptible to germs and stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭tesslab

Thanks for all the great advice!;) Its all just common sense really. Mum is very comfortable with her owners handling the pups and they are taking the necessary precautions.
    So hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll be visiting however have warned my friend I may never leave!!! 4 cute little bundles....... what more could ya want in life!!! :D

Advertisement