Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance claim

Options
  • 09-02-2011 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,

Just looking for some help and advice. Crashed our car during the snow spell before christmas into a concrete wall and claiming through my insurance for the repair. The car was assessed by the Insurance loss assessor and repair carried out through the insurance's approved panel beater. On collection of my understood fully repaired car with my family on board,I proceeded to drive home when I immediately noticed handling difficulties and after 6 miles serious engine problems so I pulled over and called the repairer and told them to come collect me and the car and take it back to fix. I was so annoyed that they allowed a crashed vehicle back on the road without checking it and from discussions with the repairer found the car was never even test driven by the assessor or repairer. Body work was all that was assessed.

So now 8weeks on I find myself still without a car or without a settlement as the assessor is now claiming that the car was overdue a service and wrong oil was used in car which caused engine problem. So I informed them car always serviced by my toyota dealer full service history is available for the car. Toyota have given me a letter stating the oil used during the last service and that it is the correct oil within toyota models.

So i have the insurance assessor who sounds to be trying to cover his Ass for overlooking a serious defect and undervaluing the repair to the insurance company and is now trying to throw the engine problems back onto me and informing me that i have to pay for putting the car back to a mechanical operating manner. My car was drivable, which it isn't now, If these were pre-existing problems defects the car would not be on the road as the car can only drive 1mile before problems arise.

Solicitor says I have no legal standing as yet,as the insurance company is still examing the car and until they return the car unrepaired or close the claim I have no reason to use my solicitor.

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

you should contact your insurer and speak with someone senior. Most companies have a named individual (read the policy booklet for name) who you should contact. Alternatively, write to insurer expressing your concerns and frustrations and giving 7 days for a response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 NewB08

Hi Ravima,

Thanks for your suggestion, I have tried that and am dealing with the senior claims executive in a call centre in India somewhere. So there is a language barrier there. They are going on the advice of their loss assessor. So the difficulty is with the loss assessor. Everything I do now is in writing to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Can you tell us the name of the Insurer, I might be able to get you a contact name (on this continent :p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 NewB08

Hi,

Yeh its Aviva. But every angle i try it's diverted to their call centre in India

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

Then phone HO and enquire as to the identity of the person you can make a formal complaint to. I would suggest that perhaps you contact the claims manager in the first instance - the chappie in Dublin not in Delhi!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 anto_b

Just a suggestion, 1st post, ask the garage re the issue. find out their opinion on the cause of the engine trouble. If you signed a satisfaction note the insurer may seek to rely on that but its unlikley in my experience. In all likley hood the person on the other side of the phone doesnt want to decline your claim but you must demonstrate that it falls under the policy cover. Id consider getting my own motor engineer to view the vehicle (this would be at your own expense and not recoverable) for a 2nd opinion, espically if the problems you have now are going to be expensive to fix. As for an estimate from the garage for the rest of the work. An engineers report will cost you approx €150-200 so you have to weigh up if spending this is worth it. Look on line or use assess ireland (many insurers use this firm as middleman to engineers on the ground). From memory their number is 0667107200.

Just in relation to the specifics if was just body work damage done in the axx and you were able to drive the car to the repairers it may well be a mechanical fault and would therefore not fall under policy cover. And please try and be reasonable with the people you deal with on the phone. Shouting will not get you anywhere, Ive done both sides of the conversation!

Hope that helps.

Advertisement