Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remedy for ear mites in a cat anyone?

Options
  • 09-02-2011 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

My boy is prone to ear mites and usually has a treatment that is applied to the back of the neck..a bit expensive though. Wondered if anyone had any natural remedies..thought id ask here before shoving cloves of garlic down his ears..:D:D(joke)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

How aften does he get them? I assume he is outdoors?
    The spot on is not for treatment, he needs to have ear drops from the vets to clean his ears thoroughly. Are they definitely mites?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Google Thornit powder, it's brilliant stuff and easy to apply. I also put a bit on their feet so if they scratch their ears they apply some more themselves.

Wouldn't be without it for cats and dogs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭BengaLover

The vet checked a few months ago when he went for his jabs, she said twas ear mites, and did the drops on the back of the neck thing, but said it only lasted 3 months or so.
    There is no infection in the ears so he didnt get drops, and he is an outdoor cat as and when it suits him..
    I reckon he is just prone to them as our other cat doesnt have any probs.
    The ear drops worked but he's shaking his head and scratching again so they must be back.
    Off to look for Thornit Powder now, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

What my vet does is give the cat 2 shots of ivermectin (a couple of weeks apart) and clean out the ears with ear cleaner and cotton wool too. The ear cleaner is meant to really help.

You can use a spot on (one that works for lots of things, not just fleas, like Stronghold I think) every month or so after that.

Loads of cats have them so he could keep picking them up again if you don't use the spot on . . .

Sorry I dunno any natural remedies, but it'll be interesting to see :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

One of my cats had a really nasty dose of this, took a lot of swabbing and stronghold monthly and its under control now. Thats €10 a month so its expensive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Thornit ear powder is great for killing off mites in dogs ears and between their toes. I've used it for our little fella because the Advantage and various other drops made him sick.
    You do have to be careful to totally clean out the ear before and every day just so that the powder doesn't build up. E.g. pop powder in his ear in the morning then clean the ear well that evening and pop some fresh powder in. It works very quickly, you can buy it online from UK sites buy a small bottle because you only need a teeny pinch of it per ear and it lasts ages.

*I said dog but you can use it on cats too no probs.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

Can you buy Thornit over the counter at vets or chemist or do you need a perscription???

From what I can find its only available in UK and on ebay

My mum told me today that with our cats years ago she used to use sulphur powder.
    She made a paper cone and would blow the powder into their ears.
    Im doing some research now to see if this will work or if it could be harmful..

Advertisement