Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trade ins..

Options
  • 09-02-2011 1:07pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Folks, do you know of any shops that will do a trade in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

You'll probably be better off selling it on adverts and putting what you make towards a new bike. Not too many places taking second hand bikes I find.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It depends on the bike. I think some shops will take good bikes (and by that I mean high end race bikes) as trade ins. Cycle Superstore seems to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭fat bloke

el tonto wrote: »
    It depends on the bike. I think some shops will take good bikes (and by that I mean high end race bikes) as trade ins. Cycle Superstore seems to do it.

I wouldn't be too sure of Cyclesuperstore, they just seem to let customers sell their bikes in the shop. You do see second hand bikes and gear for sale in there but it says on them - for sale by customer, and there's a mobile number and it explicitly states that it's nothing to do with the shop. So they might say to you and your old bike - "ah sure you'll easily get 1500 quid for that", which might encourage you to buy a new bike for 5 grand - but whether you ever get that 1500 quid for that bike or not is another thing :). It's kind of the worst of both worlds as far as I've seen - optimistic, shop prices, but none of the benefits (warranty etc) of buying from a shop.

Other bike shops definitely take trade in's though - there's a very healthy second hand bike market out there at the moment, and anything half decent in good condition, at all price points, doesn't hang around too long. So you shouldn't have much trouble selling it yourself. I sold a bike last year and I could've sold it 10 times over. I must have gotten 30 calls, all from people looing to get into road riding, and all of whom were not eligible to buy bikes on the btw scheme.

Also, I was in the cycle-inn tallaght looking at a mountain bike and they said - buy it, ride it for a while, if you like it and want to upgrade, we'll take the bike back as a trade in against something else no bother.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Cheers guys, will probably stick it on adverts

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭steinone

City Cycles(Blackhall pl. and Anamoe Terrace) accept trade-ins against the value of a new bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

steinone wrote: »
    City Cycles(Blackhall pl. and Anamoe Terrace) accept trade-ins against the value of a new bike.
    Nice plug!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭steinone

Hey, I just happen to be well informed on their policies. I have bought bikes there before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Stagg cycles do trade ins FWIW.

Advertisement