Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend a set of rollers

Options
  • 09-02-2011 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭

Odd time to be buying rollers I know, summer coming and all that, but a physio has recommended cycling in front of a mirror to try and concentrate on solving a biomechanical issue with my right knee. I'm a bit toe out, and my knee wobbles at the top of the stroke, and it's causing me some pain...

Anyway, so!

I don't like my turbo, so I want to get a set of rollers.

Is the basic entry level set fine and dandy? Is there any point paying 300 quid and more for adjustable resistance and all that malarkey?

Edit - Sorry, brain fade there - meant to post this in the regular cycling section - can a mod move it please? - I'm not looking for someone to sell me rollers, I want to hear opinions from those who have and use (and not just have, under the bed:))

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Thanks mods :)

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

Just noticed a set of rollers for €100 in the adverts section. Might be of interest to you.

hmmm. Where's the "tumbleweed" smiley? :)

The people I'm looking to hear from are probably all too busy training on their rollers, to post an opinion....

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I bought a set of Tacs Antarres (Spelling?) they were grand but I didnt like having to concentrate on balance all the time, so I bought a Turbo instead. I either watch an episode of some US TV programme or a training DVD, the hour flies in with the training video.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

If you want to give rollers a go, you can borrow mine for a bit. They're entry level something or others. based in rathgar and i won't be using them for the foreseeable future

• Advertisement

abcdggs wrote: »
    If you want to give rollers a go, you can borrow mine for a bit. They're entry level something or others. based in rathgar and i won't be using them for the foreseeable future

Seriously? That'd be fantastic.

-Anything I can offer you in return?

(steady...)

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Have cycleops aluminium. Find them fine. Have use the tacx antares before......ride well but dont seem durable, a quick google will confirm this. The cycleops can be used outdooors and are potentially adjustable.

Had a similar issue with my knee, but lots of core work fixed this rather than the rollers, I think. Is this knee issue a symptom of something else rather than something you can control.....ie just watching it may not correct it.

Rollers or turbo? Still dont know. Was a commited turboer but once i tried rollers i couldnt go back. turbos objectivly are prob better for training but the rollers offer more in terms of balance, entertainment, and I almost look forward to them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

fat bloke wrote: »
    Seriously? That'd be fantastic.

-Anything I can offer you in return?

(steady...)

:)
    PM cometh

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

It looks like you may be sorted, but I've got a set of the Tacx Antares as well and they're all you need. Just about everybody I know who has rollers, has the same set.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

The ones from CycleOps (the PowerTap company) are the best I have used: http://www.cycleops.com/products/rollers.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=224&category_id=6

I have used a good few different ones for warmups etc... but when I'm in the 53x11 and pedaling 110rpm and still only putting out 200W I think they are crap.

These ones I used all around christmas and could do Threshold intervals etc... (ie. there was enough resistance). Cheaper ones out there, but these are the best I have tried.

Disclaimer - I get a bit of help from CycleOps - but I still had to buy these.

• Advertisement
Advertisement