Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat flap in glass?

Options
  • 09-02-2011 11:52am

hi im thinking about getting a cat, i would like eventually that the cat could go outside and back into the house.
    i have seen cat flaps that can be put into glass but my problem is i only have double-glazed patio doors.
    is it possible to put a flap in these? would it ruin the glass?
    anyone any experience with this?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Theoretically it's probably possible, but not as something you can fit to an existing double-glazed window. Double-glazing works in the same way that thermos flasks work.

The insulation properties of the window are dependent on it being properly put together and sealed in the factory. When this seal is broken, the entire unit has to be replaced - i.e. you can't just slot in a new pane of glass.

So cutting a hole in an existing double-glazed window is not possible unless the entire thing is removed and returned to the factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

It's going to be very expensive to get a new pane of glass cut for a door since they are so big.

Is there a window that you could put it into instead?

unfortunately the windows and doors are the same size, big!
    only doors at back of house as well.

would prefer if cat could get out, i dont really like the idea of keeping it cooped up indoors!

no problem with people who have indoor cats though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

You can get it done, my brother has exactly that on a double glazed patio door in the UK, the guy took the door away for the day and returned it with the flap installed... really usefull it is too... I have not seen anywhere here that does that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

bubblypop wrote: »
    hi im thinking about getting a cat, i would like eventually that the cat could go outside and back into the house.
    i have seen cat flaps that can be put into glass but my problem is i only have double-glazed patio doors.
    is it possible to put a flap in these? would it ruin the glass?
    anyone any experience with this?
    thanks

I know I saw a thread on here sometime in the past where someone in Dublin said that they got a cat flap installed in their double glazed patio door...they posted pics and everything and it looked the business. If I find it I'll post a link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭BengaLover

I just leave a window open at the back..having said that we live in the country so its probably not advisable to do it in the city..
    I have pvc doors and would like a cat flap but cant.

Advertisement