Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turkey City Guidelines

Options
  • 09-02-2011 11:33am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just having a read through the Turkey City lexicon and there are a lot of good tips, in bullet form, of what not to do when writing.

I've been guilty of quite a number of them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I'm just back from a critique group where one man referred to his main character as "The woman" all through the story. When I asked why, he said he didn't want to start every sentence with "Melanie".

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

So he started every sentence with "the woman"? :D

I can count the following from the first draft of my book:

Burly detective - yep, there is even an actual burly detective and at one stage, to distinguish him from a gay Jewish character he was the 'burly goy' and his friend the 'girly boy'. What can I say...

Call a rabbit a smeerp - not sure about this one, as the plants in question may or may nto have actual English equivalents.

Gingerbread - every single sentence was made of this.

Pushbutton words - the working title has 'sings' in it, so I guess that counts?

Roget's disease - nothing washes down a mouthful of gingerbread like a thermogenic grail of atramentous jamocha.

"Said" Bookism - I've had characters expectorate and vomit words to avoid simply saying them.

Tom Swifty - goes hand in hand with Saïd Al Buqism

Bathos - once or twice for comedic effect. A polite cough echoed.

Countersinking - I saved a couple of thousand words by stripping the lily-paint.

Dischism - It's hard to know where inspiration stops and this starts (he said, taking a sip of Eau de Source Beaupré and nudging his Dell optical mouse out of the way of the keypad.)

False Humanity - otherwise known as chapters 9 to 24.

Hand Waving - used vainly to disguise the absence of an actual plot.

Show, Not Tell - a little too much of the latter.

Squid in the Mouth, on the Mantlepiece - book required round-trip tickets to Ecuador to understand some sentences.

White Room Syndrome - more or less literally the first two painful chapters.

Kitchen Sink Story - Why write one book when you can write eight at once?

And Plot - Eight stories need eight endings or at least one which ties them up.

Kudzu Plot - Happens when you combine Kitchen Sink and Hand Waving.

Frontloading - Coincidentally centred around the absence of a washing machine.

Infodump - I'll just leave this here...

"I've suffered for my Art" - More the opposite, but essentially the same.

Funny hat characterisation - A half dozen of these pointless characters got the axe early doors.

Viewpoint glitch - I still can't quite get a handle on this.

Intellectual sexiness I can only assume the only piece of paper I had on which to write down my completely unrelated idea for a brilliant invention was my manuscript.

So he started every sentence with "the woman"? :D

Seriously. And got very annoyed when I asked him about it.

Delusions of Hemingway perhaps?

• Advertisement

Maybe. I think he just hadn't thought his story through. He described the kitchen of an affluent Irish house, then informed us it belonged to a couple on the run in France, and he didn't bother to describe his characters because he felt their surroundings would tell all.

Advertisement