Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

live plaback machines for giging

Options
  • 09-02-2011 3:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I make dub..
    I am looking for a simple solution to onstage mult track playback,
    What i want to do is take multi track recordings from the studio, and play em back live into seperate channels on a desk , Snare on 1, kick on 2, hihat on 3 and so on, then i can then dub them up alongside my vocalists and live brass & percussions.
    I know the easiest way to do this is a laptop and soundcard but i dont like the crashing stalling rebooting vibe creeping into the stage show,

I was thinking bout some kind of band in the box zoom or roland desk but the problem is they dont seem to have multiple assignable outputs ( i need a min of 8 and hopefully like 12)

is there some kind of machine that does this already that i have just missed out on??
    budgets in the 100 ball park
    any thoughts r welcome

cheers
    df

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

you could go for an 8 track ADAT. seen them go for anything between 30 and 300 depending on condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭Doge

You're right, theres a big lack of multitracker's with more than 4 outputs.

I think Damaged Trax suggestion is the best for a budget that low.

You could always try grouping the drums sounds to 4 groups
    e.g all hihats sent to an output for instance, rather one for each hihat.

Not as nice but might be doable.

Another alternative would be to buy a multitrack with its own EQ built in, but that would likely be over budget.

I've had the exact same craving you have for having dedicated drum channels going to a mixing desk.
    Only recently bought an expansion card that will add 6 assignable outputs to my groovebox.

BTW: Got any dub tracks you're willing to let us listen to? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sprig

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

ADAT probably isn't a great choice - dealing with tapes and essentially a video recorder mechanism wouldn't inspire me to relax on stage - and that's not allowing for carboot to stage condensation.

One possible solution is the ADAT replacement - The HD24 - even though it has hard drives (which will eventually fail) it can take 2 so you'd have an onsite backup.

Something like the Tascam HS-8 would be my choice - 8 outs and no moving parts = reliability.

http://tascam.com/product/hs-8/

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/43453-tascam-hs-8-8-channel-professional-solid-state-recorder.html

Not at that price!

Cheaper alternatives include:
    Akai MPC 1000: 4 assignable mix outs, plus stereo out.
    Akai MPC 2500: 8 assignable mix outs, plus stereo out.

• Advertisement

Advertisement