Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comic Book Cases

Options
  • 09-02-2011 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭

Hi guys and gals,

I've recently made my own comic book cases and wanted to show them off to some fellow nerds!

On my own one I've put in 7 panels
    I've used 15mm MDF
    The front of the case is smaller than the back so you can see and admire the title of the comic as you can see.

180983_10150146148021802_689071801_8058295_4336507_n.jpg

180638_10150146149236802_689071801_8058316_4882931_n.jpg

181666_10150146149961802_689071801_8058324_2245387_n.jpg

Let me know what ye think!

I'm up for making more if people were to order them and I can make them with less panels. I've e-mailed Forbidden PLanet about it anyway...ya never know!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

look pretty good... ive never liked the cardboard comic storage boxes... i always seems to destroy em. and its pretty cool that you can see em and have easy enough access to em. Pretty damn cool

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Those look pretty cool, good job! A nice alternative against the idea of getting your comics bound into big books.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭niall mc cann

That is well cool.

Nicely done.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

4721802007_3e56080f4a.jpg
    4721802757_c8d0678bfd.jpg

My dad built these for me (they're 2 separate units). He didn't like how they sat so built another one that's 4 shelves high. I'm terrified of it. They're going to kill me one day. I'd rather something like yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭JangoFett

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it!

Well I am actually looking to make some and sell them, I'm going to send a poster up to forbidden planet to advertise them, it'd be cool to make some for other people

If anyone here was genuinely interested in getting one let me know!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 loverofcomics

I love them, that´s some fine craftmanship

hey can you suggest some comic book stores. I´m new to Dublin and I´ve just joined this site, my flatmate suggested it

I was at this market in a place called grand social last saturday amd there was this 1 comic stall, I think he said he´d be there every sat. anyhow, his prices were so cheap I got a load of early 2000AD´s for 3 euro each and a load of Alan Moore Swamp Thing´s for 50c each!!!

Anyhow, really need to know if there´re other places like this

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭johnnyivan

Fysh wrote: »
    Those look pretty cool, good job! A nice alternative against the idea of getting your comics bound into big books.

When I was a kid, I office-punched all my 2000ad s and ring bound them!

...I got a load of early 2000AD´s for 3 euro each...

Wow! Sounds great. I'd love to get early 2000ads. There's a stall in Blackrock market. No idea whether hsi prices are good or not though.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭firstprime

Wow that is amazing, if I had the space I would definitely be putting in an order. Alas, my lack of space means that my comic storage must be small and stackable.
    johnnyivan wrote: »
    When I was a kid, I office-punched all my 2000ad s and ring bound them!

I...how....the.....WHY?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

firstprime wrote: »
    Wow that is amazing, if I had the space I would definitely be putting in an order. Alas, my lack of space means that my comic storage must be small and stackable.

I'm in a similar spot myself - I'd love to have my single issues (and more importantly the random small press stuff that I seem to be more and more keen on these days) in more easily-accessed storage (at the moment it's all stackable boxy things) but I don't have the space...
    I...how....the.....WHY?

Some folks aren't concerned with preserving the physical object; once I find a thermal binder that uses readily-available glue I'm going to be mutilating a bunch of my comics and making my own collected editions, so that they can sit on the same bookshelves as my "proper" collected editions. This'll greatly improve the chances of me actually re-reading them rather than leaving them in a box to gently moulder away.

• Advertisement

Fysh wrote: »
    Some folks aren't concerned with preserving the physical object; once I find a thermal binder that uses readily-available glue I'm going to be mutilating a bunch of my comics and making my own collected editions, so that they can sit on the same bookshelves as my "proper" collected editions. This'll greatly improve the chances of me actually re-reading them rather than leaving them in a box to gently moulder away.

You know you can get folders that hold comics in that way without glue, I remember the binders that used to come with magazines I collected had a system where you slide a peg into the top and bottom of the spine and then the pegs hold them I'm the folder perfectly so that it turns out like one big book. Please do some research into that before "mutilating" your poor comics...they feel pain you know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

You know you can get folders that hold comics in that way without glue, I remember the binders that used to come with magazines I collected had a system where you slide a peg into the top and bottom of the spine and then the pegs hold them I'm the folder perfectly so that it turns out like one big book. Please do some research into that before "mutilating" your poor comics...they feel pain you know

Those types of folders have been discussed before and they can be costly as comic book standard size is not a standard ISO paper size so you either have to put them in folders that are too big thus resulting in shelfware and damage due to sagging or paying stupid prices for the custom comic book size ones. I know several people who have bound their comics themselves as it gives them more options like designing the cover they want. Terminal binding them is hardly mutilating the comic as your just binding the comics along the bind, it just means depending on the type of glue used you won't be able to take them apart as single issues again but thats kinda the whole point of binding them. Only reason some people worry about this is they think their comic collection is going to gain value if kept in the little plastic bags with the cardboard packing which I think causes more pain for the comic as it will never be read, enjoyed and loved again for fear of effecting it's 'collectable' value.

Re: office punching my 2000ads. At the time I was only around 12 years old, plus: the comics were relatively recent.

I never thought about them gaining value back then. But I still kept them and re-read them many times.

I was amazed when my friend bought a comic, raced through the text barely looking at the pictures and then chucked it. It just didn't make any sense to me!

I wonder what all my Warlord comics from Issue 1 - onwards would be worth now if my mum hadn't thrown them out while I was at school. Grrr...

Yes, but I don't want to have a bunch of ugly over-sized folders that won't fit on my bookshelves if I can instead have a bunch of home-made collections with covers and spines, that will fit on the same bookshelves as the rest of my comics and books.

I don't collect comics, I buy 'em to read. Nothing I own is likely to be worth more than cover price in future, and that's fine by me. If the choice is "let my single issues sit in a box unread for years before being reluctantly chucked out" or "bind them into home-made collections and stick them on the shelf where they'll get read", I know which way I'm going.

All good points but j just cringe at the thought of doing that to comic books. There's something I love about shuffling through a box of comics, even down to sorting them out and putting them in alphabetical order. I love the feel of them, I love to hold them, and each comic book is a work of art. Long enough to entertain but brief enough to hook, they've perfected the formula for years and it doesn't need to be messed with. To each their own but for me binding comics into a single tome would be a nightmare and mean that I would likely only ever use in as a dust trap in an old bookcase. I suppose you could say that I'm as much a fan of the physical medium of comic books than the stories held within them.

All good points but j just cringe at the thought of doing that to comic books. There's something I love about shuffling through a box of comics, even down to sorting them out and putting them in alphabetical order. I love the feel of them, I love to hold them, and each comic book is a work of art. Long enough to entertain but brief enough to hook, they've perfected the formula for years and it doesn't need to be messed with. To each their own but for me binding comics into a single tome would be a nightmare and mean that I would likely only ever use in as a dust trap in an old bookcase. I suppose you could say that I'm as much a fan of the physical medium of comic books than the stories held within them.

As someone who has studied book binding and book arts I have to say I'm massive sucker for a well designed comic but frankly the majority of standard American single issue comics are nothing special. There are some amazing comics that are objects to behold [like anything by David Sandlin or what Nobrow is currently putting out or Gary Panters Jimbo books or pretty much anything French] but I won't be getting overly sentimental for my single issue direct market comics that by the very nature were designed to be cheap and easy to pass on and are 50% ad space. If you want to avoid binding then slip cases are the other option but again americans are one of only 3 countries that don't follow the ISO paper sizes so everything has to be custom in other to avoid serious shelf wear but can be done really well if you've got the time.

ztoical wrote: »
    As someone who has studied book binding and book arts I have to say I'm massive sucker for a well designed comic but frankly the majority of standard American single issue comics are nothing special. There are some amazing comics that are objects to behold [like anything by David Sandlin or what Nobrow is currently putting out or Gary Panters Jimbo books or pretty much anything French] but I won't be getting overly sentimental for my single issue direct market comics that by the very nature were designed to be cheap and easy to pass on and are 50% ad space. If you want to avoid binding then slip cases are the other option but again americans are one of only 3 countries that don't follow the ISO paper sizes so everything has to be custom in other to avoid serious shelf wear but can be done really well if you've got the time.

Well I have to admit that the bindings in those images are beutifully done, do you know what the process used in them was?

Well I have to admit that the bindings in those images are beutifully done, do you know what the process used in them was?

My friend Lee made those and according to him the process he used was

Created a template then painstakingly drew round it on stiff card, cut, scored creased and glued. Then made the spines by photocopying comic logos and spray mounting them to the spine.

Advertisement