Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is cum a liom ?

Options
  • 09-02-2011 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi

Could someone please tell me what 'Is cum a liom' means - I realise this is probably just phonetic....

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

You're almost right :)

It's "Is cuma liom".

It means "I don't care."

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭flynnboy

You're almost right :)

It's "Is cuma liom".

It means "I don't care."

Hey thanks IO. That is interesting because I was just watching Feis & Blood and it came across in the translation as - 'For me'... but I have obviously got it wrong.

I also have another one - bhi se sin - which came across as 'that was good'. But... to my translation that is something like - 'was it that' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Toyota_Avensis

Bhí sé (literally, ''he was'' or ''it was'') when followed by 'sin' in means ''that was''.

Chances are that what you heard would've been ''Bhí sé sin go hiontach/ar fheabhas/go maith/thar barr'' either of them meaning something positive. (brilliant/excellent/very good/top class/high standard etc.)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

flynnboy wrote: »
    Hey thanks IO. That is interesting because I was just watching Feis & Blood and it came across in the translation as - 'For me'... but I have obviously got it wrong.

I also have another one - bhi se sin - which came across as 'that was good'. But... to my translation that is something like - 'was it that' ?

"For me" would probably have been "dom".

"Bhí sé sin go maith/go breá" are the simplest ways to say 'that was good'.

What's Feis & Blood anyway? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

"For me" would probably have been "dom".

"Bhí sé sin go maith/go breá" are the simplest ways to say 'that was good'.

What's Feis & Blood anyway? :)

bit like An Jig Gig it is

• Advertisement

Crosáidí wrote: »
    bit like An Jig Gig it is

Thanks guys, that all makes sense now,

Yeah, 'Feis & Blood' is a prog' where families of entertainers are competing against each other on TG4

Thanks again for all your help

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

If you are able to both read the subtitles and understand what is being said on screen, you will notice that the subtitles are not always a translation of what is being said, and may sometimes be different.

craoltoir wrote: »
    If you are able to both read the subtitles and understand what is being said on screen, you will notice that the subtitles are not always a translation of what is being said, and may sometimes be different.

Thanks craoltoir, that explains my misapprehension - bit of a bugger though when you are trying to learn Gaelige :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Yeah when translating, translate the meaning behind the words not the words themselves

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 breda206

flynnboy wrote: »

Unfortunately, subtitles aren't a learning aid 'per se', they are a communication tool so that a viewer who doesn't understand the original language can understand the content of a film/programme. So often times, the subtitles contain the message of the original speaker but not a literal word for word translation because it won't make sense to a native speaker of the target language.

If you took 5 seconds of speech and 5 seconds to read something, you will inevitably say a lot more than you could read. The subtitler has to bear that in mind and has to keep to a strict Word per Minute (WPM) and also keep an eye on when the screenshot changes as there are rules that have to be applied in that situation as well. It's a very complex business and unfortunately subtitles can't be relied on as a learning aid.

That's not to say you won't pick up words here and there though... :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Iv never found Subtitles to be a learning aid, more of a distraction than anything, Once or twice though I have seen subtitles as Gaeilge, now they were really useful.

Pity you cant choose what language you want the subtitles in.

Is there any way to turn off the English subtitles on TG4?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Toyota_Avensis

don't mix up ''Is cuma liom'' with ''cum in my bum'' as I have heard previously...madness!

Advertisement