Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Package

Options
  • 08-02-2011 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭

The package was waiting sticking out of my front door letterbox like a wrinkly white tongue. I grabbed it as I stepped inside. It was a small box. It rattled when I shook it. It was quite heavy. I frowned, placed it onthe kitchen table, and grabbed a cuppa. A few sips later I stood staring down at it. It had my name typed in some fancy handwriting. Closer inspection: written. Curiosity overtook my thirst and exhaustion from a hard day's work in the office. I ripped it open and stared at the gun inside.

There was a note tied to it like you'd tie a name-tag to a Christmas present. Same twirly writing, just a few words:

It's loaded.
    The Hunt begins 8pm.
    See you then.

I dropped the package and the gun slid out and across the tiled floor, bouncing and twirling slowly until it came to a rest at the fridge. The nozzle pointed at me, a tiny black eye. I yelped. I gulped. For a second I was nearly blind with panic and shock. Then I giggled. A practical joke: Johnny, had to be. The bastard was a right little joker. I'd get him back. I kept laughing, until something horrible dawned on me.

The sender had used my old birth cert name. A name I hadn't used since school. A name johnny couldn't have known; few did. Only someone who had traced me, tracked me down, could know it.

I stared at the gun waiting for me on the floor.

It's loaded.

The clock said 7.45pm.

The Hunt begins 8pm.

Oh sh!t.

See you then.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I like it! :)

There seems to be a bit of a logistics problem with the delivery though - the package changes from a slim, floppy format (this is what I understand by the comparison with a tongue) to a small, heavy box. I can't imagine a gun would fit in a letterbox like this.

The first line could lose the 'waiting' and 'front door' as well I think.

Advertisement