Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUCCESS!!!

Options
  • 08-02-2011 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

So for months my snare has been giving me trouble while recording drums and today i finally found the solution....a hoodie... across the top dampens it down and gives it that nice smack that i've been looking for. So the whole point of this is forget expensive dampeners just use a hoodie!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

HAH! amazing, I love hoodies, i knew they would serve other purposes apart from keeping me warm and getting stolen by girlfriends.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

Sounds quite extreme... What trouble had it been giving exactly? I just can't imagine a snare drum with hoody draped across it sounding anything except sh1t! Sounds like waaaaay too much dampening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Ah yes the 'Asbo' snare sound is very popular with the kids these days ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

i would have tried a little moon gel before a hoody but if it worked for you then it worked :)

lol at asbo snare sounds. its a new genre :D

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Brien

I'v used a t towel, held on with duct tape. whatever works, works.

*Dampening rings have their place too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

i would have tried a little moon gel before a hoody but if it worked for you then it worked :)

lol at asbo snare sounds. its a new genre :D

A little dash of tesco value vodka helps bring out the asboness I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Its a kinda poppy sound to it now once going threw the mic, and its not dampened down to much it still packs that punch that you want to hear from a snare drum. Without the hoodie it was just reverberating too much in the space i have and sounded awful recorded. Other snares were grand its just this one snare that was giving me the problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drum!

It was a common enough technique back in the 60's. I believe Abbey Road used to throw tea towels over all the shells. Some drummers still throw their wallet on the snare for a bit of dampening but you still can't beat a bit of moon gel. It's cheap, lasts ages and doesn't interfere with your attack and response like using fabric does.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

My band has a song where, for the first verse, the drummer puts his hoody over the snare, but it's definitely (or so I thought) a special effect technique... A tea towel or a tshirt or something would've been more reasonable for an all-the-time damper, I thought?

Advertisement