Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sparrowhawks

Options
  • 08-02-2011 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭

Pretty sure I've spotted two sparrowhawks over the past few days, in the same spot.

One small, lightly coloured. Gliding just above the ground before going behind some bushes. Went over to have a look but it wasn't there.

Then today, flew right overhead as I was walking back into work. :D

This one was much darker and a bit larger, had bands underneath.

Both looked very compact bodies, short wings with no apparent tail.

:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

whyulittle wrote: »

Both looked very compact bodies, short wings with no apparent tail.

:confused:That's the bit that has me stumped. I mean; It most probably was Spar's. But, they have hell of a tail on them. Hard to miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

It didn't stand out is what I really mean, it was all in line with the body. Though it didn't look extraordinarily long.

Hopefully I'll see it again in the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Just so you have something to check against what you saw, in terms of look and colour, here are my two regular Sprawks.

First is the female from two angles. The second showing her tail.

Picture070-1.jpg

Picture045-1.jpg

Next we have the male, just after I released him from inside the house. He came in whilst chasing a smaller bird, and put up one hell of an agressive battle inside the kitchen.

Picture013.jpg

And a shot of him trying to stay still in his hiding place as I poke my camera phone at him

oneleg.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Plenty sparrowhawks around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭donal2000

Cool pictures Kess73.

I remember a few years ago tackling the hedge in the garden and in the blink of an eye a Sparrowhawk swooped in over the wall, down and then back over the next wall. Incredible birds in motion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement