Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

17" alloys on a Golf

Options
  • 08-02-2011 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of buying a new VW Golf and am interested in getting the 17" 'Porto' Alloy Wheels as they will enhance the look of the car but I have been told the ride will be very uncomfortable because of the size of the wheels. I'm sure they'll make some difference over the origional wheels but can anyone tell me if they make a big difference or not.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

what year Golf?
    17" wont affect it too much imo.
    be different if you were going 19" or 20".

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

Brand new haven't ordered yet

pbarr wrote: »
    Brand new haven't ordered yet

17" wont be a problem, sure their nearly standard now................
    i personally think 17" will look too small on the MK6 golf, i would get minimum of 18".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Nice spoke that, ride quality shouldn't be affected at all, maybe a tiny bit.

Well I live in Donegal where the roads are less than smooth so maybe 18" might be a bit ambitious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

What engine is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

get 45's or 50's. Lower profile Tyres result in a bumpy ride.

Swampy wrote: »
    get 45's or 50's. Lower profile Tyres result in a bumpy ride.

+1
    on the golf i would get at least 45 tyre wall, just for that little bit of extra cushion.

gpf101 wrote: »
    What engine is it?
    Its probably going to be a 1.6 TDI or might be 1.9 haven't decided yet.

kceire wrote: »
    +1
    on the golf i would get at least 45 tyre wall, just for that little bit of extra cushion.

These alloys come with 225/45 R17 tyres so I presume that would be ok.

• Advertisement

pbarr wrote: »
    These alloys come with 225/45 R17 tyres so I presume that would be ok.

yeah there standard on the Sportline VW's and optional on the SE models so they will be perfect as VW see them as ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

FWIW, I have a Subaru Forester, came from the factory on 215/55 R17. The car's currently on 215/60 R16, and it's noticeably quieter and more comfortable. Handling is a little softer when pressing on, but I don't think that's going to be relevant to a standard Golf. I'd keep to 16", unless your comfort comes second to the aesthetic gratification of random pedestrians.

Edit: for a 1.6 or 1.9 diesel Golf it's a no-brainer IMO - 16" all the way.

Advertisement