Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your blog can now be sued by RightHaven

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Not following you OP. Could you elaborate and perhaps give us some examples of what happens in this ''jurisdiction''?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

squod wrote: »
    Not following you OP. Could you elaborate and perhaps give us some examples of what happens in this ''jurisdiction''?
    First post by the guy. It may be a campaign to get word out on forums all over the place, so he may not be back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 LibertyFree

First post by the guy. It may be a campaign to get word out on forums all over the place, so he may not be back.

I am just concerned about this. This was my favorite site and now they shut themselves off due to lawsuit threats.

I am just concerned about this. This was my favorite site and now they shut themselves off due to lawsuit threats.
    Would you like to explain in more detail what the problem is? It sounds like an interesting story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭uprising2

Would you like to explain in more detail what the problem is? It sounds like an interesting story.

On his first post you should notice blue underlined writing , these are known as links, should you put your pointer over it and right click your mouse, you will see something new appear like magic, try it.

If your truly interested in anything here use the links, if not don't bother yourself posting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

uprising2 wrote: »
    On his first post you should notice blue underlined writing , these are known as links, should you put your pointer over it and right click your mouse, you will see something new appear like magic, try it.

If your truly interested in anything here use the links, if not don't bother yourself posting.

Just use the middle click button and it opens a new tab.

HTH.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

or maybe like me, he cant view the links, my corporate firewall refuses to allow access to those sites.......

so some insight from the OP would be usefull....

Or possibly if someone wants me to invest my time in following a story they are trying to publicise, they should give me a brief explanation of what it is, and why it is important? Do you wade through every link posted in the internet?

Or possibly if someone wants me to invest my time in following a story they are trying to publicise, they should give me a brief explanation of what it is, and why it is important? Do you wade through every link posted in the internet?

Maybe he couldn't give a flying f**k what you think!

You are the one investing all your time here, were you dragged here or just come to annoy posters.

If you've any interest click the link, if you haven't don't bother replying, simple really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Maybe he couldn't give a flying f**k what you think!

You are the one investing all your time here, were you dragged here or just come to annoy posters.

If you've any interest click the link, if you haven't don't bother replying, simple really.

And what about those on mobile phones or company internet? On pretty much every other forum I frequent on boards, it's common courtesy to include quotes/snippets of the articles in the post for those who may not be able to access them for whatever reason, which, despite your snarky comments to the contrary, does happen for legitimate reasons.

There's absolutely no reason why you have to be so patronizing about it, it's completely unnecessary.

• Advertisement

robtri wrote: »
    or maybe like me, he cant view the links, my corporate firewall refuses to allow access to those sites.......

so some insight from the OP would be usefull....

Still in the security business?

Run an SSH server on your computer at home.
    Use an SSH client on your computer at work to create a secure tunnel between your home and work computers.
    Enable Dynamic Forwarding in the SSH client to simulate a SOCKS Proxy.
    Configure Internet Explorer to use a SOCKS Proxy for network traffic instead of connecting directly.

Or just wait till 5pm and click the links at home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Lads, ffs give up the bitching!

This is from the charter:
    charter wrote:
    When posting links to documents or videos give as much information as you can. In particular with regards to videos, give the name of the video if there is one or a brief description, the running time and the creator or show it may be taken from if it is known. The more detail that is available for a link or video means it will be easier to search for and other users will also know what to expect from it.

Libertyfree, you're new around here, so please have a read of the charter. We like to have as much discussion as possible.

On topic from now on please....

liah wrote: »
    And what about those on mobile phones or company internet? On pretty much every other forum I frequent on boards, it's common courtesy to include quotes/snippets of the articles in the post for those who may not be able to access them for whatever reason, which, despite your snarky comments to the contrary, does happen for legitimate reasons.

There's absolutely no reason why you have to be so patronizing about it, it's completely unnecessary.

If you didn't notice already, it was his first post here, when I post links I give a general feel to what its about, he didn't, no big deal.

I'll do it for him for all you corporate folk.

link 1:

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Beware bloggers, Righthaven can shut you down

Righthaven Causes Truth Website, U.S.W.G.O.,To Be Shut Down Using Frivolous Lawsuit

Pretty Stunning huh! This is really happening because Brian (I) actually got served with a summons to go to court over 1 TSA Picture. What does this mean for bloggers? Beware because even if you use only your own pictures and content or ones under creative commons anything can be copyrighted by RightHaven then you can be the next victim of their lawsuit machine.
    image%5B2%5D.png?imgmax=800
    Righthaven Victims

A website that lists the victims of Righthaven LLC's 'shakedown' lawsuits that are causing irreparable harm to the blogging, non-profit and small business communities. Are You and Your Website or Blog Next?

Righthaven LLC -- a bottom feeding legal outfit -- has teamed up with the Las Vegas Review-Journal and the Denver Post to sue 'mom and pop' websites, as well as nonprofit, political action, public interest, writers, and forum board operators for copyright violations. The strategy of Righthaven is to sue hundreds and thousands of these websites and counts on the fact that many are unfunded and will be forced to settle out of court. Nearly all cases are being filed in a Nevada Federal Court and must be fought in this jurisdiction. You are not safe from Righthaven if you are out-of-state. January 2011 Righthaven Victims

01/28/11Jason Chrystal and Justus Steelthoushaltnotsteel.com
    01/28/11Pajamas Media, Inc. and Bryan Prestonpajamasmedia.com
    01/28/11Eric Calouro and Erictric Media Group
    erictric.com
    01/28/11Green Celebrity Network, Kristi Davis and Doug Mead
    greencelebrity.net01/27/11
    William Sumner and DailyKix.comdailykix.com
    01/27/11David Peterson and Social Rev Make Money Online
    socialrev.com01/27/11
    J.J.E.F. (Jackson, Johnson, Edwards & Fountain) Holdings and Miles J. Edwards
    atlwebmag.com01/27/11
    Andy Hwang, Jay Daniels and The Fat Bratthefatbrat.com
    01/27/11Death and Taxes Media, LLC, Joe Weber and Stephen Blackwelldeathandtaxesmag.com
    01/27/11
    DDS Enterprises Inc. and David D. Schultzoldhippie.com
    01/27/11
    Care2.com, Inc.care2.com
    01/27/11
    Glenn Churchfoolocracy.com
    01/27/11Ron Eldridge
    anythingurban.typepad.com
    01/27/11Brian D. Hill
    uswgo.com
    01/27/11
    Bill Meyer and Bicoastal Rogue Valley, LLC
    KMED.com
    01/25/11
    Torq Cisek

politicaldisgust.com
    01/21/11
    CustomerThink Corporation, Robert Thompson and Joseph Michelli
    CustomerThink.com
    01/21/11
    Mt Rock Church, Robert Edwards and John Pozniak
    fortunatesonblogs.com
    01/21/11
    William Szirbik and Thomas C. Roycescaredmonkeys.com
    01/21/11
    Tripso, Inc., ConsumerTraveler.com and Charles Leocha
    consumertraveler.com
    01/21/11Bear Den Holdings, Inc., Betsy Siino and Mike Siinogrizzlymom.com01/20/11David Rozzellkatypundit.com01/20/11ILiveHipHop.com and Shaquan Shamar BrownILiveHipHop.com01/20/11Michael L. Davis and Software Farm Inc.urban-lifestyle.mattters.com01/17/11A Blog About History and Sevaan Franksablogabouthistory.com01/12/11Peter Ashtonpeteashton.com01/12/11Bob G. Bellamericanarchaeologist.com01/12/11Business Insider, Inc. and Gus Lubinbusinessinsider.com01/12/11

lonestarreport.org

I was reformatting the links, but whats the use anyway?
    Link2:
    This was a message sent to me by a Righthaven victim’s grandmother. She gave me permission to repost her words on Oneutah.org:
    Our answer to prayer for relief:
    Brian was born a preemie. When he was a little over a year old, his dad left him and his mom. When he was 18 months old, the family discovered that he had brittle diabetes, type 1 with glucose reading of over 1200, spent one week in the hospital – from that time to now, he lives with daily blood sugars of 42 (or lower) to 600 some days (bladder problems and other problems at those times). His life since the age of 18 months has been to have several finger pricks daily to monitor for glucose readings. He has 3 to 4 insulin shots daily. He has seizures with some of these lows. When he was 2 – 3 years old, his mom discovered that he had mild autism and developmental delays. He had years of speech training in school, and school become so rough that his mom decided to do home schooling. She has not been able to work an outside job since the day he was born. She had a job lined up and a real good day care when he was 18 months old, took him to get his shots (which they gave him a lot at the health department in one day), and within one month, Brian was in the hospital a serious diabetic, glucose reading of over 1200). They have videos to show that he acted entirely different after these shots. This ended his mom’s trying to work on an outside job between the diabetes (he started having seizures when his sugar rapidly goes low) and developmental problems, all she could do was sign up for disability. They have lived (both of them on disability) since 1992. That is their only income. With all of these complications, Brian can’t drive, so they both stay home. With the home schooling, he became proficient in computers, having his own server at the age of 13 or 14 years old, and his own web site. He makes no money from this web site, but treats it (devotes time to it) more than most people do to a job. He feels proud to be called “The administrator of USWGO”. Also he feels like he is helping others by bringing out the truths that are hidden or news other people don’t have time to find. Because of the brittle diabetes, his blood sugar can fall really fast night or day, so his mom is always there to treat these. The autism for years was a nightmare with really bad tempers, which he himself discovered, as long as he does not get any vaccination shots at all, he can control these moods better himself. The mild autism can also be described as listening to a radio station with static, that comes and go. At times his thinking can be very clear, at other times – not as much. This is also the way the diabetes affects him with the extreme highs and lows of glucose. He and his mom have had a lot of battles, take away his website, and he has nothing. They have no money for lawsuits or lawyers. Looking at his website, one would never suspect the hardships he has faced and continues to face daily.
    It has been a rough 4 days for them. It’s scary when someone is sued for putting a picture on their website when the paper says to share this with everyone, which is what he did. – one picture without any copyright watermarks on the photo, and it is causing all of this! They are suing him for $150,000. He is 20 years old, does not own a house, a car or anything, lives off from about $700.00 a month disability check (mother and son). He pays for his own website too out of that money! He lives in NC, and the suit is in Colorado. This has also become a major concern for both Brian and his mom. This type of worry causes blood sugar to really climb high, and his mom’s blood pressure is also climbing. What type of damage is this type of worry going to do to both this mom and son?
    He did put this photo on his website to share with others, just as he read that he was to do which is exactly what Brian did, maybe in a different way than someone who does not have mild autism would do, but none the less, he shared it with others. So now this news came out in November, 2010. Did this person suing this young man with brittle type 1 diabetes, mild autism and developmental delays and no money actually lose $150.000 because everyone is rushing out to buy this photo? How much is this photo worth? How much money has Righthaven lost because it was shared on a news web site? How many people were actually going to this website to look for this photo which is now old news? How many people are going down to the news station to buy old newspapers just so they can see this photo?
    What all has Mr. Brian Hill and his caregiver lost because of this law suit? Most people would panic (mental abuse), go out and hire an attorney to fight this (thousands of dollars in out of pocket cost). Brian can’t do this because he does not have the money (more worry, more emotional and physical abuse – gets real upset, stays upset, glucose rises, more insulin shots, and more medicine). Then there is the freedom of speech which he has enjoyed since birth and the fear of what else is on my website that I can be sued for? Then there is the concept of trial in the courts in a state thousands of miles away, so now they will have to travel by car for days to attend this trial that produces more money for him and his mom, more worries, more high blood sugars, more insulin. They will have to rent a car, pay high gas prices, rent motel rooms and rent a place to stay in Colorado for this jury trial. Since the lawyer has also asked for court cost to be paid, he would also have to pay for that. He and his caregiver both are living on less than $700.00 a month for low rent payment, all utilities, car expense (gas, repairs, etc.) to go grocery shopping, visit family and doctor visits, clothes and all personal accessories, household and other needs for the month. Brian does not have credit cards. All he can do is countersue. He will ask that RIGHTHAVEN LLC pays all court cost, pays for all travel expenses and whatever moneys the court feels he is entitled to because of the emotional and physical damage done to him and his caregiver over this needless law suit.
    More exhibits will follow from the Internet as this lawsuit is about an Internet site. Brian’s site has been copied without his permission and presented to the court in another state, so the state needs to be informed of what all this person suing Brian is up to – a legal way to cause people on the Internet to lose their freedom of speech. It’s apparent that a 20 year old disabled person would not know much about the laws, but the person doing this lawsuit is an attorney using the laws to sue people and take away their freedom of speech by stealing (legally) their right to have a website and a domain name

Link3:
    p2pnet view P2P | Freedom:- Is it time for US copyright jackal Steve Gibson to have the US Bar Association — or worse — on his case?
    He’s another of the legal extortionists who are giving the legal profession an even worse name by going after people who can’t defend themselves.
    Gibson has an outfit farcically named Righthaven, and young Brian Hill (right) is one of his latest victims.
    Brian, 20, runs — or, thanks to Gibson, ran — a non-profit, one-man site called USWGO Alternative News “where I write my own articles and mirror others articles with links to the source (Sometimes include pictures) to educate people that certain political agendas are going on”.
    He’d published a Denver Post picture of a Transportation Security Administration guy patting down a passenger. The pic shows the agent groping a passenger’s groin.
    Gibson “got his hands on the copyright and in one of the most egregious copyright troll cases yet, is suing Brian, who only found out about the suit when he was contacted by a reporter”, said p2pnet, quoting Brian as stating, “Then I searched up my name and righthaven and found a court docket/filing verifying that this lawsuit against me over the TSA photo is real.”
    Brian, who says he’s “mildy autistic”, posted the document on scribd. In it, Gibson says he could be “irreparably harmed”, demanding damages and costs.
    ‘Let everyone know I’ve been served by RightHaven’
    Another email from Brian was waiting for me this morning.
    “I just got a visit today by somebody who works with the court system serving me with papers from RightHaven”, he says, going on >>>
    Please alert this to everybody you know that you told about the RightHaven case against myself.
    If any of can contact people in the press then tell them about my story and whats happening to me.
    Let everyone know I’ve been served by RightHaven and have 21 days to respond to the District Court.
    He was even shocked that I was served over just one picture. He assumed it was multiple photos on my site.
    This shows the ignorance of people in the court so this scary for me. Any ignorance in the court system will be used by RightHaven to unfairly win the case so they are setting me up for death row of my free speech and civil liberties. We need people to know the truth about the real reason I’m being sued was all over 1 photo which I had taken off my site by the way after I found that the photo had copyrights on it thanks to Steve Green of the Las Vegas Sun. Please let everyone you know know that RightHavens threats against me are real and they want to end USWGO Alternative News forever.
    And here’s what you see on USWGO Alternative News today >>>
    Announcement that USWGO will be shut down for good. Copyright is the new weapon against freedom of speech! USWGO may be gone but Free will will NEVER GO!!
    You can find a picture of the summons issued against us on: Brian D. Hill of USWGO served with a Court Summons for Civil Action | Before It’s News
    Update: This now means all bloggers, forum posters, social networking users, and usenet users can be sued over news quotes/clippings, and even pictures but the funny thing is you can also be sued for your own content that you created yourself because RightHaven can get the copyright of any bloggers content then sue them for it. So this IS the end of Free Speech as we know it. Copyright is King! Those that want Free Speech have to afford a patent attorney and patent everything they say.
    We have just got served by the clerk of the court and so now we know that the threats RightHaven held against us were legitimate. Even though the accusation was over using a TSA enhanced pat-down photo, any law firm can own copyrights of anybodies stuff which means even my own articles can be copyrighted then I will have to take them down as well over fear of lawsuits so RightHaven has silenced my freedom of speech. There’s no doubt in my mind that they are working with the globalists and Obama himself.
    Also I have noticed the rise of communism, fascism, police state, and other kinds of Tyranny in America. Remember the answer to 1984 is 1776. Even though RightHaven has the power to copyright anything they want to and has the power to shut down freedom of speech, they cannot steal our souls and they cannot copyright our free will.
    This isn’t the end of the peaceful resistance against Big Bullies. This is the beginning because people will refuse to live under Tyrannical rule under taxation without representation. I agree with the words of Patrick Henry “Give me Liberty! or give me death!”.
    You can think the end of USWGO as another reason we need to reform this crooked government system and bring forth a country of happiness, freedom, liberty, prosperity, and where corporations didn’t own us like cattle for the corporate factory farms.
    The globalists may have won this time against my website but this isn’t the end of Free Thinkers.
    V for Victory!!!

Now I hope this helps a great discussion;)

Still in the security business?

Run an SSH server on your computer at home.
    Use an SSH client on your computer at work to create a secure tunnel between your home and work computers.
    Enable Dynamic Forwarding in the SSH client to simulate a SOCKS Proxy.
    Configure Internet Explorer to use a SOCKS Proxy for network traffic instead of connecting directly.

Or just wait till 5pm and click the links at home.

I have no intent of breaking Corporate rules around It security and policy...
    you mightnt give a damn about ur job, but i do...

all asking is some insight from the OP... as per charter...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

WTF :confused:

1) Did TightHaven have copyright to the Picture Before or After this guy used it on his Website

2) if its a picture pulled from a Newspaper article surely its considered Public domain

WTF :confused:

1) Did TightHaven have copyright to the Picture Before or After this guy used it on his Website

2) if its a picture pulled from a Newspaper article surely its considered Public domain

even if from a newspaper article, the owners of the photo still have rights on it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

Interesting thread...

It would seem the whole process was started by a man named Sherman Frederick and owes it origins to a company called Stephens Media. The Sherminator is a columnist for Stephens Media- you can read his mission statement here.
    Righthaven LLC is owned 50/50 by two limited liability companies, Net Sortie Systems LLC owned by a Las Vegas attorney Steve Gibson & SI Content Monitor LLC which is owned by family members of investment banking billionaire Warren Stephens whos investments include Stephens Media. Stephens Media in turn own the Las Vegas review Journal.
    The lawsuits are filed ( almost always without notice ) for copyright infringement of news articles originally published in the Las Vegas review journal ( and Denver Post ).
    This is a good site for information it’s called Righthavenlawsuits.com. According to this site as of February 7th 2011 they have filed 237 lawsuits of which they have closed 97. The site claims they settle on average 3,500 US dollars per case and reckon its somewhere in the region of 330,000 thousand dollars in total as a result of their lawsuits.

You would think that 'fair use' would cover posting photos from online news sources on blogs.

Advertisement