Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning and lubeing

Options
  • 08-02-2011 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭

Hi I have noticed my bike (6 months old) has picked up a lot of dirt and grim on the chain and frame. Is it recommended that I power hose it down and what type of lube (Chain, Wheel hubs) should I be useing or should I be just using WD40?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

U haven't cleaned your bike in 6 months!.... Nooooo

WD 40? nooooo!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Don't forget powerhose...

...oh, right, "Nooooo!"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Tks Dirkvoodoo.... Powerhose.... Neverrrrr!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Cleaning guide.

(It's park tool, so obviously they are suggesting you use all their products. Go to your local bike shop and ask them for a wet lube and some Muc-off).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Hi I have noticed my bike (6 months old) has picked up a lot of dirt and grim on the chain and frame. Is it recommended that I power hose it down and what type of lube (Chain, Wheel hubs) should I be useing or should I be just using WD40?

WD40 can be used to clean rusty parts, but for nothing else. As far as I know, it's side effect is, to remove any liquids, including lubricants and oil.

But I found out recently, that ordinary diesel oil, which you normally use for a car's motor, works quite well for a bike's chain :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

Ok hand slapped :P Thanks guys, its down to the local shop to get the gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭fat bloke

07Lapierre wrote: »
    U haven't cleaned your bike in 6 months!.... Nooooo

WD 40? nooooo!

And that's 6 WINTER months!

NOOOOOOOOOOooooooo.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭calerbass

I would nt recommend using muc off. It's becoming noted for corroding bottom brackets,headsets,hubs etc causing movement .better to stick to warm soapy water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

I just got an email from CycleSuperStore about a Cleaning Kit for €40

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Yup, the only way is warm soapy water and elbow grease, messy job and time consuming, I don't blame anyone that doesn't bother cleaning their bike, but if you don't, you have to be prepared to replace parts at least three times sooner than on a clean well lubed bike, the choice is your's.
    As for chain cleaning and lubing, well I could probably write a few books with various opinions about the subject but the bottom line is less is more and any lube is probably better than none at all, although there is of course exceptions to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 bmacg

I agree with the others; noooooooo! Crud build-up on your chain and cassette makes a very effective grinding paste, and will greatly accelerate wear and tear on both.
    I ride about 180 miles a week in the training season, and clean my bike religiously every week, with a fuller clean and lube every month or so. You should be starting each week's riding with a bright, shiney chain and cassette.
    Never, ever, ever use a power hose, the water will be forced into the bearings on your wheels, headset and bottom bracket, blasting out the grease and greatly accelerating wear and tear.
    There are several very good youtube tutorials on the subject, and once you get a system going it'll take about 10 or 15 minutes once a week to give the bike a thorough cleaning. Go to youtube and do a search for 'bike cleaning', you'll pull up some great 10 minute tutorials, then invest in a good cleaning kit and chain-scrubber, (essential), and you're away. Happy riding!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 reidzer

Is Wd40 not OK to degrease the chain then wipe that down, then apply lube....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

reidzer wrote: »
    Is Wd40 not OK to degrease the chain then wipe that down, then apply lube....

NOOOOOOOOoooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 reidzer

xz wrote: »
    NOOOOOOOOoooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

To clean a bike after a dirty ride :P I spray the whole thing except saddle and bars with dilute Fenwicks FS stuff, leave settle for 5 mins, then gently rinse off with a hose. If the chain is particularly bogging i'd clean that in advance with a chain cleaner yoke using Finish Line cleaner and relube it with with Finish Line dry lube after the general wash down. Lkewise cassette, if really stinking it would get a pre clean with Fenwicks FS, cloth and toothbrush. That's one thing I don't like about DuraAce cassettes, they are a dull matte and never go to full bling. The bike would then get dried down afterwards with a soft clean waffle weave cloth. If I'm feeling obsessive the frame may also get a waxing with Collonite 915 wax. Whole thing takes 20 mins max.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bmacg

WD40 should only be used for freeing up seized nuts. On a bike it can easily get into bearings, where it will disperse the grease. As a lube it evaporates quickly, leaving no protection.
    Use standard washing up liquid for the body of the bike, a gooid citrus degreaser for the heavily soiled bits such as the drive train, and rinse the whole lot off with a gentle spray. Lidl sell an excellent gegreaser.
    Dry the bike down with an old towel, then LIGHLTY lube the chain with a good bike oil, (not WD40, which dissipates too quickly, or 3 in one, which is mineral based and can damage seals), or better yet, a teflon based spray. Run the chain through a rag after oiling to wipe off all the excess. You don't need any oil on the outside, where it'll only attract grit, it on the internal links you need it.
    Check out the youtube videos.
    Happy cycling. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭markdrayton

WD40 is a water dispersant. It's not a degreaser or lubricant. Muc-Off and soapy water are degreasers. They'll get crud off but be a bit careful around bearings (hubs, headset, bottom bracket) -- you don't want too much getting in and washing the lube out. A light splash here and there won't hurt.

Cleaning more often is a lot less messy and annoying than cleaning a filthy bike every few months. Clean bikes are also a lot easier to live with -- no getting anything that touches it filthy and no looking like you've been digging a coal mine by hand after fixing a puncture.

Advertisement