Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dry patches in shape of numnah

Options
  • 08-02-2011 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi all,

my mare has got very dry bald patches on her back in and around the area he numnah is. it is very bad on the left hand side, started as dry flakey patches now she has got bald patches. I had been told it was due to putting damp numnahs on, and I had been rubbing baby oil and E45 cream on her to make it moist.

any ideas or advice would be very much appreciated :rolleyes:

thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

I have never seen or heard of bald patches from a damp numnah, and my numnahs get damp almost every time I ride.

It sounds to me like your saddle could be creating pressure points and rubbing and damaging your horses back.

How big are the bald patches?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bullylover

I agree sounds like a saddle problem, have u got your saddle fitted? or if its old it may need re-flocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Mo MO

its not saddle as i have had it on her from day i got her and no problems.

its dry flakey skin more on left than right. no so much under saddle as under the saddle pads, will get it seen to by vet today.

thank you for your replies:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Horses shape can change particularly if they are growing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Do you wash your numnah's regularly? Sometimes horses can get sores under the saddle due to dirty numnahs. Alternatively, did you check to see if the numnah has worn in some places more than others? This could also cause the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Mo MO

Found out its a fungal bacterial infection that she got from a previous yard.

called "elephant skin"......which is exactly what it turns into after the skin flakes away.

thank you all for your replies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

thats so interesting! my mare has something very similar, dry flaky skin, but it appears to have been caused by her the join between the neck part of her rug and the rug itself and its just on her withers; i bought a hood for underneath the rug and put e45 on it as well and it seems to be improving, doesnt really seem to be and sort of fungal thing and only appeared when she started wearing the rug!

Advertisement