Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shimano FC-R700 Chainset

Options
  • 08-02-2011 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where the R700 non-series chainset sits in the Shimano hierarchy. It seems to be around 105, Ultegra SL level?

Does it make much difference whether I use it with a 5600 105 groupset or am I better off sticking with the (more expensive and heavier!) FC-5600?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I have one of those as part of an otherwise 6600 groupset. It works.

I think the R600 and R700 come from a time before Ultegra SL when Shimano didn't make a compact crank as part of either Ultegra or Dura-Ace product lines - race or triple only. They've since recognised the error of this strategy.

If it's both lighter and cheaper than the 105 I can't see why you wouldn't opt for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

niceonetom wrote: »
    I have one of those as part of an otherwise 6600 groupset. It works.

I think the R600 and R700 come from a time before Ultegra SL when Shimano didn't make a compact crank as part of either Ultegra or Dura-Ace product lines - race or triple only. They've since recognised the error of this strategy.

If it's both lighter and cheaper than the 105 I can't see why you wouldn't opt for it.

Bingo! I have one too, can't complain really.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭RoubX

If ChainReactionCycles are to be believed, it's at the 105 level but for people with smaller hands

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=33362

RoubX wrote: »
    If ChainReactionCycles are to be believed, it's at the 105 level but for people with smaller hands

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=33362

Crankset...for your legs. Like Tom said, it was Shimano's first compact offering and they decided to release it as a standalone product under the R700 badge.

Weights:

R700 50/34 172.5 = 864g
    Ultegra 6600 53/39 172.5 = 838g
    Ultegra SL 6650 50/34 172.5 = 811g

Not really much in it, I'd buy whichever I can get cheapest at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Weights:

R700 50/34 172.5 = 864g
    Ultegra 6600 53/39 172.5 = 838g
    Ultegra SL 6650 50/34 172.5 = 811g

Not really much in it, I'd buy whichever I can get cheapest at the time.

Where'd you get those weights, Dirk? Do you have one for the 172.5 5650 Compact?

Like you say, not much in it. I can find some very cheap 53/39s but Compacts tend to be dearer. In some places, you really have to buy an expensive set of wheels as well to get a good discount.

• Advertisement

Weight-Weenies.

Not listed, Shimano 5650 weighs anything from 722g to 836g depending on what site you look at and whether the bottom bracket is included. Competitive cylist give the "actual weight" (weighed themselves) as 770.0g, if that's without BB then add another 98g.

Again, not much in it at all, but if your groupset is all black, I'd be inclined to match the crankset. That's just me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

I have one of those cranksets. It was taken off a new bike and replaced by a heavier crankset (can't remember what) by some twat who didn't like the fact that it was "non-series". I bought it off the guy he paid to change the cranks.
    R700 is a fine cranket that has served me well for a couple of years. I have never dropped a chain despite some valiant attempts.
    To answer op question it sits around Ultegra level. Shimanos good long drop brakes belong to same family (700 series) afaik.

Advertisement