Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lights for helmet and bag

Options
  • 08-02-2011 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking on chain reaction for lights that will attach to my bag and helmet. I will be leaving my bike at the train station so don't want them on my bike.

Any advice or specific ones from their site would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Haleakala

Not the best of approaches in my opinion. Aside from law requiring you to have fixed lights, most good lights come with very quickly detachable light fixtures. It literally takes 2 seconds to remove these. Pop them in your bag afterwards.

P.S.

Dubious about using a helmet light in commuting traffic - no evidence per se, but for example, when executing a look over your shoulder, you are likely to catch the eyes of drivers behind you etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=42465

Take about a second to slide off and shove in your bag. It would be a cynical thief who steals a light mount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Now that thats sorted any advice on a lock.

This is the bike i will be going for http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=62400

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Now that thats sorted any advice on a lock.

This is the bike i will be going for http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=62400

Good strong kryptonite (i.e. fahgettaboudit) - usually around 60eur from Amazon - no point buying any other lock if you care about your bike (doesnt matter the bike - use a cheap lock no matter the condition of the bike, it will get nicked!

km991148 wrote: »
    Good strong kryptonite (i.e. fahgettaboudit) - usually around 60eur from Amazon - no point buying any other lock if you care about your bike (doesnt matter the bike - use a cheap lock no matter the condition of the bike, it will get nicked!

Thanks, but i wanted to get the lock on chain reaction as i wan to buy all together.

How about this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=19332

Also another one:D is there any pump that will work on both my MTB and road bike as they have different valves !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,037 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The shackle is very long. This can be a security issue as it makes it more difficult to fill, and therefore leaves room for a bottle jack. OTOH, it's easier to use on certain types of post.

Lumen wrote: »
    The shackle is very long. This can be a security issue as it makes it more difficult to fill, and therefore leaves room for a bottle jack. OTOH, it's easier to use on certain types of post.

English for a newbie:o

• Registered Users Posts: 31,037 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You don't want this:

42point7jacking.jpg

So do this:

locktechnique1.jpg

More here and here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

OTOH = on the other hand - the rest was english !

if you have a gap between the bike and the bit of the lock where the key goes in you can get a bottle jack in and pop the lock, common way of breaking u locks

so shorter locks are better but means they may not be long enough to fit round whatever your locking it to

edit:
    as ever lumen beat me to it and did a better job

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

also - fairly standard for a track pump (I got a joe blow a while back for about 20quid from chain reaction) will have a double Presta (car) and Schrader (road bike) adapter on the end

• Advertisement

Ok so these locks are on my radars now, locked as shown are wrapped though the front wheel as well.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=19330

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9630

Thoughts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Yellow kryptonites are better than orange ones. Small ones are better than big ones. Cable locks are almost entirely decorative.
    I will be leaving my bike at the train station...

I'd rethink that. Before you decide which lock to use, know that there are better and worse places to use it, and a train station is a poor one. You don't have to read this board for long to see a few stolen bike threads from train stations or luas stops. Lock it 5 minutes away.

There should be warning signs or something. GRRRR

Train station is my only option as it will be staying in Heuston over night. I'll use it to get into town and back out to get a specific train in the evening that will have me home an hr earlier.

The other option is a fold up bike and i'd rahter try ans swim up the liffey:p

It will be locked to the normal back stands that are in most places, the loop up one side and down the other.

I think i'll pay the extra 40 and go for the yellow one

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=12767

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

...staying in Heuston over night....

You are spending precisely €211 too much on your bike if you are going to leave it in Heuston overnight. It'll get wrecked by some scummer who is pissed that you had the audacity to buy good locks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Are there any Dublin Bikes depots anywhere near Heuston and your workplace? As briano pointed out, it would be crazy to be leaving your bike overnight at the train station.

None near, I have 25 min to get from city centre to Heuston so time is a major issue. I found cheaper bikes in Halfords but had a cheap Apollo before and it fell apart.

I do understand what your saying but my options are limited re location and time. There are a lot of bikes left over night. I'd just like tontine someone else who does it !

Well if you really must then I'd suggest buying something secondhand and secondhand looking as something shiney and new would be more likely to catch the eye.

Thanks for the advice ! I'd bring it on the train if they didn't charge me !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Get a folding bike and hide it in a bag.

BostonB wrote: »
    The OP would have the bomb disposal squad to worry about then.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I don't think you have to "hide" a folded bike for Iarnród Éireann (thought that's good advice for bringing a folder onto a bus); but you do have to "cover" it, which I suppose probably would involve at least pulling a large garbage bag over it. So much the same outcome.

A Brompton is a fine bike. I ride one quite a lot. If I were in the OP's position, I would definitely use the Brompton.

I meant to avoid the daft charge. You don't get charged for a large bag. Why a fold up bike. So to avoid confusing anyone. Put it in a bag.

I think folded bikes are free on Iarnród Éireann, but they have to be "covered".

But you're right. I always put it in a garbage bag. No point in inviting attention from officials who might think they know the rules.

Saw some using a fold up on the docklands train. It was out of the bad and unfolded in about 15 secs. Very cool I though. I was going to get a foldup and do the same, when I realized in the time it took me to catch the train, wait for it, etc. I'd have been halfway to work on a regular bike.

Bicycles that are folded and covered can be carried on all Commuter and Dart services with no time restrictions.

http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/bicycle_information.asp

Doesn't mention charges. Or what applies to intercity trains.

Yeah, best to use the bag, so!

Saw some using a fold up on the docklands train. It was out of the bad and unfolded in about 15 secs. Very cool I though. I was going to get a foldup and do the same, when I realized in the time it took me to catch the train, wait for it, etc. I'd have been halfway to work on a regular bike.
    Yeah, I find most journeys faster just cycling. Including cycling directly to the end destination on the Brompton, which is a surprisingly nippy bike, given the compromises in making it such a compact folder.

But if you're going from, say, Killester in Dublin to Salthill in Galway, it's definitely faster to use the Brompton combined with the train!

I see others with the folding bike in the mornings and they just pop it in the luggage area without a bag etc. I'm leaning towards it, any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

niceonetom wrote: »
    Yellow kryptonites are better than orange ones. Small ones are better than big ones. Cable locks are almost entirely decorative.
    I think the general consensus on orange -v- yellow is that Orange is for short-term locking, i.e. when you're popping into a cafe for an hour and yellows are for longer-term locking where you need the lock to be able to withstand attacks for about five minutes, to minimise the chances of them getting through it before being discovered.

Cable locks indeed are pointless for locking your bike. For securing your wheels, they'll protect against the opportunistic thief who is either just trying to be a bollox or who needs a wheel to fit on the bike he just stole by disconnecting a wheel. There are hundreds of bike with quick-release wheels parked on the street. If you have a cable securing yours, the thief will just go find someone else's to rob, he won't have to go far.

This has happened to a number of colleagues of mine - they come out to find a wheel, sans bike, locked to a pole, and their bike, sans wheel, locked to the next pole.

This is the folding bike i'm looking at now ?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=55558

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Undercover Elephant

seamus wrote: »
    Cable locks indeed are pointless for locking your bike. For securing your wheels, they'll protect against the opportunistic thief who is either just trying to be a bollox or who needs a wheel to fit on the bike he just stole by disconnecting a wheel.

And by far the silliest idea is to get a decent U-lock ... and then only use it to lock the two ends of a cable together. People who park their bikes at Pearse, I am looking at you.

Advertisement