Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sontronics

Options
  • 08-02-2011 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭

Does anyone use any of the Sontronics mics ?

Any opinions?

I'm thinking of getting the Apollo Stereo Ribbon .... maybe.

We dealt with them in their early days but they seem to have come on in leaps and bounds.

http://www.sontronics.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭SeanHurley

Haven't used them but I know Studio Solutions deal in Sontronics. Would prefer a Coles 4050 Stereo Ribbon though in fairness it is over double the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

wouldnt touch sontronics with a bargepole no matter what the product.

had a ton of sontronics cables out at work from studio solutions and they were all dodgy, kept cutting out intermittently (bout 20 or so cables). unfortunatly they'd been bought by someone else a few years ago and never used, else i would have thrown them back at darren.

we cut them down, tested them, basically tried everything to locate the problem to no avail. so we cut the neutrik connectors of them and binned the cables. spent a few quid on new cable roll and havent had issues since.

never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

wouldnt touch sontronics with a bargepole no matter what the product.

had a ton of sontronics cables out at work from studio solutions and they were all dodgy, kept cutting out intermittently (bout 20 or so cables). unfortunatly they'd been bought by someone else a few years ago and never used, else i would have thrown them back at darren.

we cut them down, tested them, basically tried everything to locate the problem to no avail. so we cut the neutrik connectors of them and binned the cables. spent a few quid on new cable roll and havent had issues since.

never again.

That's not great - have you heard any of the mics ?

SeanHurley wrote: »
    Haven't used them but I know Studio Solutions deal in Sontronics. .

Technically so do we ! Insofar as it is available to us ...

We decided to go with sE at the time as they were a more developed brand - though Trevor Coley the owners seems to have really developed the Sontronics brand.

Any owner/users out there ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    That's not great - have you heard any of the mics ?

never tried them but if they cant get something as simple as an XLR right i dont hold out a lot of hope for their mics :(

although their newer models look tasty..

33432d1175041228-want-hear-sontronics-mics-enter-sigma-1.jpg

• Advertisement

never tried them but if they cant get something as simple as an XLR right i dont hold out a lot of hope for their mics :(

although their newer models look tasty..

33432d1175041228-want-hear-sontronics-mics-enter-sigma-1.jpg

An Apollo is two of those in one mic.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭shayleon

seems very tasty this Apollo!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

Really like my helios. Nice to meet the owner yesterday aswell ;-)

Yes I'm looking forward to having a listen to the whole range again - I think before, with 'other' brands, that Chinese mics were often badly finished and at the price point, no one complained.

The whole Sontronics range from entry level up are now at a build quality that matches European or US expectations - in fact some of them are quite beautiful.

I'm excited to be adding them to our range - we hope that we'll have them out at X-Music too soon.

I'd be very earger to hear the Apollo and the Delta against say a royer or a coles or something like that.

Will you be getting any demo models Paul?

• Advertisement

Yes, we have all those models in stock now - bar the Apollo that Alwyn at Westland half-inched .... which will be back soon.

I'm sure they'll sound great through a quality pre-amp ......

You do have a quality pre-amp don't you ?? :D

Yes, we have all those models in stock now - bar the Apollo that Alwyn at Westland half-inched .... which will be back soon.

I'm sure they'll sound great through a quality pre-amp ......

You do have a quality pre-amp don't you ?? :D

Funny you should mention that, just recently acquired one :D

Will maybe give you a bell about the checking out the Delta in particular.

SeanHurley wrote: »
    Funny you should mention that, just recently acquired one :D

Will maybe give you a bell about the checking out the Delta in particular.

Aye ... if you're collecting the Pre-Amp you can grab it then.

Aye ... if you're collecting the Pre-Amp you can grab it then.

Actually I might leave getting the delta off you until a little later as we are in Germany next week gigging and we are doing vocals for the EP after that (guitars largely done now) - might be best to take it when I have time to test drive it properly on guitars.

Is there someone in Raheny today or Monday? That SSL might sound nice on some vocals :D

Mailed you .

Advertisement