Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jolly Ball?

Options
  • 08-02-2011 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi folks
    I'm feeling guilty... during the cold / rainy weather I can't put my 4-year old horse out during the day, and there's only an outdoor arena where I keep him so with the gales and driving rain last week it was difficult to exercise him adequately. I hate thinking of him being cooped up most of the day. I was thinking maybe Jolly Ball would at least keep him (slightly) entertained in his stall when the weather's bad - anyone have experience good/bad of these, or any other suggestions?? All advice appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭lulubell

I really think it depend on the horse. Is he a playful horse in general, presume he is cause he's still young? I bought one for my fella last yr & to be honest it's sitting in tack room, unused :rolleyes: But then again my fella would rather stand eating grass then gallop round the field with the others :) (he's 5 btw)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 rstax

Depends on the horse really, as said above!..
    I have a very playful fella,(he is 18.2hh, and 12).. He cleans up the arena by putting headcollars,jump cups,whips, ANYTHING he can find and will put in in a bucket, or turn over the hollow mounting block and put them in that.. He chases other horses with whips..can escape from any gate by undoing it - not barging through.. His stable has a yard at the front, and there isnt a day when he isn't letting himself out (although a lot of the time he will stay in the stable, he just opens the gate) .. I thought a jolly ball would suit him down to the ground - especially during the snow and ice... Unfortunately he hardly looked at it-he much rathers tossing his feed bucket around the stable, and into the next one!!.

There is one horse on the yard who loves his jollyball though - it's often found outside the stable!.
    So really you won't know until you get one.. Hope your fella enjoys his, as i do think that they are a great idea !!..

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭wosheen

Thanks for the responses lulubell and rstax. I only have my horse a few weeks and while he is always messing (fussing over me when I go in the stall, rooting for treats, using me as a human scratching post...), but I'm not sure if he will "play" - rstax it sounds like your fella is hilarious, and at 18.2hh?! That's one BIG playful horse! :D And as you both noted, it seems age doesn't matter as much as I thought it might - Lulubell you said your horse is 5yo but not much into play, whereas rstax has a 12yo that loves playing. Not sure what my 4yo will do, but I think I might give it a go and see what happens.... if it just sits there, perhaps there might be another horse or pony at the stables that would like it so won't go to waste altogether?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭lulubell

Another idea might be a snak -a-ball, got one of these last yr which he did enjoy, mainly cause he loves his food!! Maybe worth a try? You could also chop up carrots & hide them in his hay net, this should keep him busy for a while :) If the weather is really bad and u can't take him out, but u still have time to spend with him u could try doing some trick with him, kiss, hugs, bow. Thats only if u want him doing these :)

Advertisement