Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dual Carrigeway / Motorway over/undertaking

Options
  • 08-02-2011 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭

Can someone in the know settle this once and for all!

Very often we come across a situation where we have these silly drivers who like to drive in the overtaking lane, very often going a good 10-20 km/h under the speed limit. There seems to be a common perception that it is illegal to pass such a car by "undertaking" on the driving lane; even if you do so without going over the limit.

So Car A is driving in the overtaking lane of the motorway at 100kmh and Car B passes by driving at 120kmh in the driving lane? Surely this is perfectly legal? I would have thought that the person in the wrong is the person remaining in the overtaking lane and treating it as a driving lane?

Surely passing a car like this is not classed as "undertaking", is it??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I was taught that 'undertaking' is acceptable in cases where the traffic to your right is moving slower than traffic on the left. So as far as I am aware what you're suggesting is perfectly legal.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

That definitely is 'undertaking', and it is illegal!

Sadly the road is full of overtaking lane hoggers.

The only times you can overtake on the left are if traffic in the right lane is moving very slowly (as in, they are stop-start or moving in slow-moving queues), or if the car ahead is slowing/stopping to turn right and you wish to progress straight on or left.

If on a dual carraigeway, and you wish to get by a hogging car, move into the overtaking lane, behind it, and switch on your right signal. If they don't respond soon, give a small (but non-intimidating!) flash of your lights. They usually get the message.

Overtaking on the left should be avoided - it's actually quite dangerous. And if people keep undertaking a car, that car will find it more difficult to move back into the driving lane, where it should be.

You'll find that while both hogging the overtaking lane and undertaking are illegal, you will more commonly get in trouble for undertaking. This is because it's a bit easier to enforce - if you undertake a car, there can be no refuting it - it's an event, that definitely occurs. Whereas hogging the overtaking lane - maybe that car is staying there to overtake a car ahead, not wishing to weave in and out? It's not as black and white as undertaking.

It's an annoying situation all right - especially on three-lane motorways, where you sometimes have to make two lane changes to overtake, then two lane changes back.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭popsmar

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/Rules_of_the_road.pdf

As in the rouls of the road...

You must normally drive in the left-hand lane of a dual carriageway. You may
    use the outer lane of a two-lane or three-lane dual carriageway only:
    for overtaking, and
    when intending to turn right a short distance ahead.

Dangerous overtaking 2points 5 on conviction with E80 or E120 on conviction
    Failure to drive on the left-hand side of the road 1 point 3 on conviction €60 fine €90on convestion

Dangerous overtaking can be moving from the left lain to the right to intentally pass a car.:mad:

But if you are always on the inside its ok from what I have read.:confused:
    So its still not to bed:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

There is another "legal" overtake on the left situation - A One Way Street. But I agree that m/way lane hoggers are a menace allright... N7 Naas to Dublin is probably the worst road in the world for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

I was coming in the N7 this morning and there was usual turtle hogginf the overtaking lane, traffic in middle lane was moving quicker than him.

A garda car pulled in behind him and had to flash him TWICE with the blues before he moved in.

I reckon he still doesn't know that what he was doing was wrong.

• Advertisement
Advertisement