Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Canal Enfield

Options
  • 08-02-2011 1:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what is the canal in enfield like? I except it took a hammering by poachers over the last few years.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

The big problems the canal faced/faces are:
    The Coarse fishing regs really only came online in Sept 06. Prior to this it was legal to take all the Roach, Perch, Tench, Bream Etc you wanted.

The Coarse fishing regs still allow the taking of 4 coarse fish per day from the canal. This in my opinion is unsustainable.

On a more positive note: There is a very active Club in Enfield, and is patrolled by state officers. There is some very good fishing to be had there at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

what kind of fishing would you get in canals? size wise etc?..i am going to try the royal canal in kenagh in the summer, its in longford, recently cleaned up and looks really well, would it be worth my while at all considering it is still a bit fresh if ya like,
    not a coarse fisherman as such but would be nice for a change from the trout fishing to do something diff,

bayliner wrote: »
    what kind of fishing would you get in canals?

I don't know what it's like around Longford but it's probably similar to the rest of it. So You'll have Pike, Probably mid double figure max weight.
    Tench, typically up to 2 or 4 lb with the exception to 6 or 7 lb.
    Roach and Rudd, typically smallish but sometimes towards a pound.
    Bream a bit bigger than the Roach and occasionally up to 2lb or more if your lucky.
    Eels are present too but it's illegal to fish for them now.

Bizzum wrote: »
    I don't know what it's like around Longford but it's probably similar to the rest of it. So You'll have Pike, Probably mid double figure max weight.
    Tench, typically up to 2 or 4 lb with the exception to 6 or 7 lb.
    Roach and Rudd, typically smallish but sometimes towards a pound.
    Bream a bit bigger than the Roach and occasionally up to 2lb or more if your lucky.
    Eels are present too but it's illegal to fish for them now.
    thanks for the info, didnt expect to be that good:D.... certainly dont want eels:D... would the fact that it was recently re-opened mean it may not be so good? think it was in the summer last that it was officially re-opened

bayliner wrote: »
    thanks for the info, didnt expect to be that good:D.... certainly dont want eels:D... would the fact that it was recently re-opened mean it may not be so good? think it was in the summer last that it was officially re-opened

I wouldn't get too carried away with the canal, it can be hit and miss. You often need colour in it to fish well and pre-baiting usually pays. I don't know the stretch at all so I can't comment on what it will be like after being re-opened. It would depend on the exact nature of the work carried out etc.
    Maybe talk to your local fisheries staff to get the word on the ground!

• Advertisement

I wouldn't get too carried away with the canal, it can be hit and miss. You often need colour in it to fish well and pre-baiting usually pays. I don't know the stretch at all so I can't comment on what it will be like after being re-opened. It would depend on the exact nature of the work carried out etc.
    Maybe talk to your local fisheries staff to get the word on the ground!
    ah it wont take over from the trout fishing to be honest:D, just curious to know what could be in there, and would be nice to pass a few hrs on a summers evening, and a break from the trout fishin too, a BRIEF break:D....
    i have only seen a small stretch of it at the lanesborough road, its very much weed free there,and lifeless looking at this time of yr at least but may have more life further along, will see later in the yr i guess...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

The big problems the canal faced/faces are:
    The Coarse fishing regs really only came online in Sept 06. Prior to this it was legal to take all the Roach, Perch, Tench, Bream Etc you wanted.

The Coarse fishing regs still allow the taking of 4 coarse fish per day from the canal. This in my opinion is unsustainable.

On a more positive note: There is a very active Club in Enfield, and is patrolled by state officers. There is some very good fishing to be had there at times.

Did waterways Ireland not ban all taking of fish from the Canal? Prety sure they did

tin79 wrote: »
    Did waterways Ireland not ban all taking of fish from the Canal? Prety sure they did

No. Bye law 806 and 809 apply to the Canals as well as near everywhere else.
    Waterways erected signage but they aren't enforcable.

Advertisement