Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens if your pet causes an accident?

Options
  • 08-02-2011 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi,

I have thought about this before but I have really never followed it up. I just noticed someone saying there on another board that if your pet bites someone or causes an accident then you are personaly liable for damages?

Is this true?

:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Yes !

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jennypeny

Is this something that pet insurance covers or what do people usually do?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

You seem amazed by this, why on earth should anyone else pay for the damage caused by your pet? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Yeah whoever owns the pet is liable. Rightly so.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

jennypeny wrote: »
    Is this something that pet insurance covers or what do people usually do?

Pet insurance does not cover it if you have broken the law in anyway. ie, letting your dog wander or escape from your property is against the law.

Personally I make sure I am in control of any animals I own, keep them securely and disuade people from trespassing on my property or attempting to feed my horses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Ailishcrehan

in my dogs insurance policy, there is a section that says we are covered for up to €250,000 in third party liability and legal costs, but have never read up on that part to see what it covers, as I will never let my dog out of my sight or allow her to be out without a leash or muzzle (have to muzzle her by law because she is a german shepherd mix) and because I would die if anything happened to her or god forbid, she caused an accident and a person was injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jennypeny

I just read up on my policy there it does say 250k third party libaility.

Just havent thought fully about it she is so small, this is my first pet so Im all new to this.

Advertisement